Bridgewater College Baseball Defeats EMU 17-9

The Eagle’s Bats Showed Up as Every Starter Recorded a Hit

Kevin Navedo greets teammates

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Kevin Navedo greets teammates as he returns to the dugout after scoring for the Eagles. Navedo is currently second on the team with a .361 batting average and leading the team with 38 runs batted in.

Zachary Gray, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va – Both Bridgewater College and Eastern Mennonite University saw success from their players at the plate on Tuesday, April 12; however, Bridgewater’s competition on the mound helped propel the Eagles to victory. 

BC entered the matchup coming off their double header wins against Roanoke, and it seemed that they carried the momentum from that game as the Eagles scored a season second best of 17 runs to claim their twentieth win of the season. 

The cross-town rival game looked promising in the first inning for the Eagles as they jumped out to a three run lead, only for the Royals to match the energy to tie it in the bottom of the first. 

Bridgewater was able to answer back to EMU’s three-run first by adding four more in the second, whereas the Royals were only able to score one. 

As the game went on, Bridgewater’s pitchers seemed to settle in and become more comfortable as they were able to limit the Royals’ scoring to just two innings for the remainder of the game. 

“Our coaching staff and catchers worked really hard to prepare for this game and our plan for attacking their hitters was flawless from a pitching perspective given that I didn’t shake a single pitch call,” said senior pitcher Tucker Hrasky. 

Jeffrey Snider and the umpire
Jeffrey Snider and the umpire look in the direction of a hit foul ball. Snider leads the team in stolen bases with 14; just in front of Brett Tharps with 13. (Bridgewater Eagles Athletics)

EMU was able to score two runs in the fourth, but they still trailed Bridgewater 9-6. Just as the Royals pulled within three runs, the Eagles offense answered yet again, tacking on four more runs in the fifth. This was the nail in the coffin as Bridgewater added an insurance run in the sixth to take a 16-6 lead heading into the seventh inning. 

After the first scoreless inning in the game, the Royals attempted a last effort comeback, but were only able to muster three runs in the eighth and still trailed the Eagles 16-9. Bridgewater respectfully answered with a singular run in the ninth as they went on to defeat their ODAC rival 17-9. 

“All week Coach Davis prepared us for their pitching so we knew what we would be seeing and we executed. As I was hitting, we had guys on base and I knew we needed to get them in,” said sophomore Tristan Gordon. 

Gordon finished the game with two hits and four RBIs, leading the team in runs batted in and finishing second in hits. The Eagles improve to 20-10 as the Royals fall to 9-19. 

With nine games remaining for Bridgewater, they currently sit in fifth in the ODAC with a 8-6 record behind Hampden-Sydney’s 10-5. 

“Looking ahead we play teams like Shenandoah, Guilford and Lynchburg – all quality programs that I’m excited to play to finish out the regular season,” said Hrasky.

“For the rest of the season we will keep doing what we have been, showing up and taking care of business at practice and during games. We have what it takes to win, we just have to go out there and play,” said Gordon.