Women’s Soccer Defeated by Garnet 3-0

Lady Eagles forced to accept a discouraging defeat against Swarthmore

Gianni Maltese, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. –  On Monday Sept. 5, Swarthmore defeated the Lady Eagles 3-0 despite a determined yet discouraging showing.

The Eagles’ seven saves from Junior Carlee Gaboury were not enough to prevent them from going 1-2-0. All in all, in a challenging match-up on Sept. 5, Garnet’s constant tenacity and perseverance throughout the game proves key in this highly contested matchup. 

“Today’s game wasn’t the result that we wanted, but we are going to keep working during practice to get the results we are looking for in future games,” said Daum. “We worked hard today, and we are a strong group of girls, but we need to finish the opportunities that we make.” 

Freshman Kendall Garza led the team with three shots, tied with junior Ashley Sabatino, freshman Micah Stine and senior Kaia Richardson. This is followed by juniors Skyler Daum and Katelyn Seagrave each taking a shot

Soon after the game began, Richardson took a shot that hit the crossbar as the Eagles mounted pressure. Bridgewater just minutes into the game eventually received the opening corner kick of the match as Richardson would have a clear-cut chance coming around the corner, but Swathmore’s Nora Greer slammed the door shut on the rebound attempt.

Kim Kockenmesiter, playing 1v1 with Gaboury, scored Garnet’s first goal in minute 41 of the game, just before the first half ended. The game’s second goal was scored in minute 47 by Garnet, who received a superb assist from Dani Kaufma.Garnet’s Kockenmesiter scored the last goal to make it 3-0 in minute 83, ending the Eagles’ hopes of a late surge.

The pivotal moment when the Eagles came dangerously close to scoring on a long ball from sophomore defender Maddison Ferrone stood out among the Eagles’ opportunities while behind only 2-0 at this point.  In a dangerous area, Daum’s redirection from Ferrone made its way to freshman striker Micah Stine, who just barely missed the header.

“It was a very fun game to watch, but based off the hunger from the 1st half, if the girls can maintain the energy from that first half and produce that relentless effort over a 90-minute span day in and day out, the girls will have a season to remember,” said junior spectator Alexander Hisel.

Although Bridgewater had a fair handful of opportunities, they were unable to fully take advantage of them, which led to the afternoon shutout and a loss. Garnet increased their advantage in minute 83 when Kockenmeister and junior Maren Dougherty engaged in a back line duel that forced Gaboury to release out of her crease and allow the ball to drift into the goal, making the score 3-0 Swarthmore.

Despite the Eagles’ 1-2-0 record being a decline from their Fall 2021 season where they were 2-1-0 this time last year, the women’s soccer squad has had an intriguing start. They have a 1-2 record and four goals so far this year. The next game is on Oct. 13.

“The mistakes we make are hurting us as a result of today’s game. We are getting better each day and can control the game, but we just need to finish, and it will be a good season,” said Daum.