Hispanic Heritage Month on Bridgewater Campus

Kadencia

Students and staff came together to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month at salsa night. The band, Kadencia, came to play live music during the event.

Ortez Marshman, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Bridgewater College observed Hispanic Heritage Month by featuring events to enjoy Hispanic culture, including a salsa night.

Students and staff were invited to join salsa night on Sept. 5 to honor Hispanic Heritage Month at Bridgewater College. This event included a band, dancing and celebration. 

“It was great to have a Salsa night that really contributes to the Hispanic culture,” said Associate Professor of Spanish Alma Ramirez Trujillo. “I was able to dance with students, listen to Hispanic music and enjoy the great band that came out. It is important for Bridgewater College to do events like this because there are a lot of students and staff who have a Hispanic background, and it’s good to celebrate it with them.” 

Students from a variety of backgrounds felt included when their favorite music genres were represented during the celebration.

“I think the Salsa night is a great way for students with a Hispanic background to be able to be in an environment on campus where they feel at home,” said sophomore Valerie Lutz. “I mostly listen to Hispanic music and like to tango or salsa, so this was a very special and fun experience for me. The college should have more Hispanic dance events on campus.”

Each year, national Hispanic Heritage Month is observed from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 by celebrating the history, cultures and contributions of Hispanics in the United States and the wider world. 

The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under president Lyndon Johnson, and was expanded by president Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period.

Hispanic Heritage Month is a diverse month with culture coming from outside the United States. 

“Hispanics in the United States are a diverse group who bring a rich combination of language, culture, educational backgrounds and experience to the country,” said sophomore Diane Mercado. “Whether it’s education, government, business or the environment, Hispanic Heritage Month will help bring unity throughout the country.” 

This 30-day celebration is important to many people that have Hispanic backgrounds, as they are able to share and celebrate their culture in the United States. Much of the Hispanic population comes to the U.S. for new opportunities, but are tasked to leave their heritage behind. 

“I love Hispanic Heritage Month because it allows us to highlight and showcase our Hispanic culture,” said Instructor of Spanish Kara Folmar. “It is a time of teaching and learning through art, cooking, spoken word and much more. The community learns about the contributions, struggles and advancements Hispanics have made throughout history. This month is important to me to take a step back to reflect on the importance of being proud of who I am.”