10/5 BC Sports Recap: Bleed Crimson Edition

Emily Wylie

Senior forward Alex Martinez attempts to contain control of the ball during the first ten minutes of the first half. This is the Eagles’ first defeat of Randolph since 2017.

Emily Wylie, Sports Editor

Bridgewater, Va.- On Oct. 5, Bridgewater College athletics had an action-packed day filled with incredible performances during three back-to-back undefeated Bleed Crimson games. 

Men’s Soccer

The Bridgewater Eagles pulled their weight against Randolph College with a win of 2-1 over the Wildcats. Senior forward Matthew Shelor scored two of the four shots he took—one in each half. 

With two attempted shots and remarkable defense, senior forward Alex Martinez was second on the leaderboard in attempted goals. 

Throughout both halves of the game, Randolph had 17 attempted shots. Of the 17, only one landed due to sophomore goalie Charles Schweinefuss with seven overall saves. 

Seniors Josh Gilliam, James Yeboah and Pearce Lowrey all tie for first in assists, each taking one. The Eagles battled hard against Randolph’s tough defense and managed to take home another victory. 

With a boosted record of 8-2-2 and a winning streak of four, the Eagles will take on Randolph-Macon at home on Oct. 12 at 4 p.m. 

Field Hockey

Field Hockey pulled out a 2-0 win against Randolph-Macon, leaving the Yellow Jackets with their sixth season loss. Both goals were made by sophomore forward Emily Tyler in the first period, just six minutes apart. Tyler scored two of her three attempted shots. 

None of the Eagles’ shots hit the back of the net after the first period, but the team did not back down with four more additional tries. 

In the second period, first-year Ashley Coleman shot the puck out wide. In the third, midfielder sophomore Daphne Daymude attempted, along with first-year forward Kylie Amberger and Tyler in the fourth. 

There was also a phenomenal show from goalkeeper first-year Madalyn Miller with three saves for the evening. 

With a 4-5 record, the Eagles are set to battle Roanoke College on Oct. 12 at home at 7 p.m. 

Volleyball

Bridgewater College volleyball dominated the court and defeated Lynchburg University 3-1. The Eagles won the first two sets in close match ups of 25-21 and 25-20. Still battling hard, the third set resulted in a tight loss of 25–22. BC pulled out a final set win of 25-18 to seal the deal. 

Outside hitter first-year Faith Depew played a great game with a lead of eleven kills, followed by opposite hitter senior Lisa O’Grady and middle hitter first-year Gabby Atwell with ten. 

It was also a massive game for senior setter Grace Hayes leading with 42 assists and 12 digs. BC had high scoring streaks throughout each set, with a high of six in the final set. 

The Eagles have now led in the last ten match-ups 8-2 against the Lynchburg Hornets. BC Volleyball lost its previous winning streak of five to Christopher Newport University on Oct. 7 and now with an overall record of 13-7. 

Bridgewater Volleyball will travel to Eastern Mennonite University on Oct. 11 for their next ODAC matchup.