Bridgewater Women’s Soccer Earns Huge Win vs. ODAC Rival Lynchburg

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Katelyn Seagraves passes the ball off to a teammate in an attempt to get the offense going. The junior scored the game winning goal Saturday for the Eagles.

Nathaniel Winebarger, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater Eagles improved to 7-1 in the ODAC and 11-4 overall after junior Katelyn Seagraves put a header in the back of the net in the 76th minute of Saturday’s contest to win 1-0.  

For the first 75 minutes of the Bridgewater women’s soccer homecoming game, two of the top three teams in the ODAC played in a hard fought defensive battle.   

“The defense worked hard for the full ninety,” said junior defender Maren Dougherty, “We all did a really good job of covering for one another and not allowing Lynchburg to get too many good chances on goal.  Changing formations can be tough mid-game, but we were able to make the proper adjustments.”

It was in the 76th minute when first-year Lyric Birkley went up to try to knock it in the net with a bicycle kick.  The ball went in the air and Seagraves was there to clean it up with a header to score the eventual game winner and her fourth goal of the 2022 campaign.  

“I knew I had to try and get a shot on goal, and I figured a bicycle kick was my best shot,” said Birkey. “ I did not get as much on the ball as I wanted, but I am glad I got enough for Katelyn to get a head on it.”

Seagraves has only started in two games this year, but the junior continues to get meaningful minutes and has seen the field in all 15 games.  

“I don’t even really remember what happened except watching it go over the keeper’s hand and hearing the crowd and my teammates screaming.  I was just so pumped up,” said Seagraves.  

Dougherty, sophomore Madison Ferrone and senior Emily York stepped up defensively in the final fifteen minutes to keep the Hornets out of the net.  The Hornets got off 17 shots to Bridgewater’s 14, but only six were on goal for the Hornets.  

Junior Carlee Gaboury had six saves in goal for the Eagles.  She also recorded her 11th shutout of the season.  

Saturday’s win was huge for the Eagles, as it moved them closer to home field advantage throughout the ODAC tournament.  Washington and Lee remain undefeated in ODAC play, but the Eagles still have a shot at the one seed, depending on the outcomes of this week’s games.  

The Eagles return to action when they take on Shenandoah at home on senior night this Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.