BC Men’s Soccer Recap 10-23

Bridgewater College Athletics 

Senior defender James Yeboah posing at media day this past year. The Eagles are 9-4-3 on the year and 5-3-1 in conference play.

Kevin Tiffey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Bridgewater men’s soccer team defeated Eastern Mennonite by a score of 1-0 on Wednesday, Oct. 19, and lost to Lynchburg by a score of 1-0 on Saturday, Oct. 22.

10/19/2022

The Eagles Defeat the Royals 1-0

The Eagles got it going early in just under a minute when senior Matthew Shelor had a chance, but his shot was denied by a Royals defender. 

Not long after, senior Trevon Phillips had a chance, but his shot hit the post and the ball came back, allowing another chase that ended in a miss. 

Eastern Mennonite University, at the start of the second, had a few opportunities to score. The Royals had two shots, but neither were not on target. Then, in minute 51, the Royals had another opportunity, but sophomore Charles Schweinefuss was there to make the save. 

In minute 54, junior Eric Ramirez played senior Alex Martinez a through ball toward the box, and Martinez was able to track the pass down to get a shot off. Martinez scored the first and only goal for the Eagles and put the score 1-0.

In the last couple of minutes of the game, freshman Niklas Hatchett had a chance, but his shot was saved by the Royals’ freshman goalie Andrew Arledge, resulting in an Eagles win.

10/22/2022

The Eagles Fall in a Tight Game Against the Hornets, 1-0

Lynchburg University came out early with a lot of energy and mounted pressure. The Hornets earned the first shot of the game, but it was not on goal.

The Eagles were able to get the first shot on goal of the game, coming from sophomore Thomas Vik, but his shot was denied by Lynchburg goalie Justin Ennis.

Then in minute nine, a foul inside the box was given, and the Hornets had a penalty kick. Luke Mega took the penalty kick for the Hornets, but Schweinefuss came up big for the Eagles and was able to make the save and keep the game scoreless.

The Hornets took over and dominated the rest of the first half, keeping possession and outshooting the Eagles 8-2.

A little over ten minutes into the second half, the Hornets were able to take the lead. A throw-in from junior Brennan Lagana was able to connect with junior Zach Whelan who headed the ball into the back of the net to take the 1-0 lead.

The Eagles’ best chances of the game happened back to back off of two corner kicks. The first was from Niklas Hatchett who fired a shot after the ball bounced on the ground, but his shot went off of a Hornet defender for another corner kick.

The next corner Shelor shot was blocked and rebounded to sophomore Zach Jarvis, who shot just wide of the goal. The Eagles were not able to get anything else going after this attempt, and ended the last 15 minutes of the match without a shot, resulting in a 1-0 loss.