Plans for the LSA

Nathan Good

The IDEA Center located on College View Drive is home to the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion department. The Latin Student Association partners with the organization to plan events and hold meetings.

Ortez Marshman, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Latin Student Association has different activities planned for the rest of the fall semester, like a Día de Los Muetros celebration. The club covers all aspects of Latin American culture, including holidays, traditions, food and music.

What’s New?

• This semester, the LSA has had two successful events, including a Salsa club hosted by the office of DEI, and a recent Latin American dessert night.
  • “Our goal for the events is to give space for our Latin American students to celebrate our cultures, and for students that are not from Latin America to come and learn about aspects of our different cultures,” said LSA president Bailey Salcedo.
  • LSA also plans to host a variety of events moving further into the fall semester and beyond. 
  • “For the upcoming Fall semester, the LSA has an event we are planning for Día de Los Muertos, and we will also be participating in the campus trick or treat and the journey of lights to share more information about our traditions and celebrations for the winter and fall,” said Salcedo. “We hope people come out and enjoy what we have to offer.”

Why it Matters:

• The purpose of LSA is to provide a safe place for students with a Latin American background to come together to celebrate and share their diverse cultures.
  • LSA aims to support Latin students and foster a sense of cultural identity and community through cultural celebrations and programs. LSA also aims to abolish any type of discrimination or harmful stereotyping on Bridgewater’s campus.

What’s Ahead:

• LSA is always looking for students who want to explore Latin American culture and bring it to the Bridgewater campus, as well as help with events throughout the school year that students with a Latin background can relate to.