BC Men’s Soccer Recap 8-30


Bridgewater College Athletics

Junior Eric Ramirez poses at media day this past year. The Eagle’s record this year was 9-6-3 and 5-4-1 in conference play.

Kevin Tiffey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Bridgewater College men’s soccer team lost 2-1 to Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday, Oct. 26, and to Roanoke 1-0 in the ODAC quarterfinals on Saturday, Oct. 29.


The Eagles lose a close battle to the Marlins 2-1

The Marlins came out hot and had four early chances just two minutes into the game. The Eagle’s first chance came when senior Trevon Phillips had a shot in minute eight, but was wide of the goal.

Senior Matthew Shelor had a chance just two minutes later, but senior goalie Griffin Potter of the Marlins was there to deny the shot.

In minute 29, the Marlins took a 1-0 lead. Ryan Taing assisted Everett McCloskey for the Marlin’s first shot on goal to make the score 1-0.

The Eagles had a few chances towards the end of the first half, with three shots in the last ten minutes of the game.

The Eagles got after it at the start of the second half with four shots in the opening minutes. In minute 69, the Eagles tied the game at 1-1 with a goal from junior Vincent Marra.

Marra made a run, volleyed the ball out of the air and scored to make the game 1-1. Shortly after, Shelor almost gave the Eagles the lead, but his chance was denied by Potter.

Sophomore Thomas Vik had a great chance in minute 85, but Potter came up with a huge save to deny Vik. With just under two minutes left, Nate Mitchell came up big for the Marlins and scored the game-winning goal, making the score 2-1.


Eagles lose in the ODAC quarterfinals to Roanoke 1-0

The Maroons got it going early with a corner kick in the opening minutes of the game and were able to get a shot off. Freshman Cole Dunbar had the Eagle’s first shot of the game, which hit the crossbar.

The Maroons applied pressure and had three shots in just 14 minutes, but all were unsuccessful. In minute 37, the Maroons had another great chance, but the shot was denied by sophomore Charles Schweinefuss.

In minute 53, both the Maroons and the Eagles received a yellow, which gave the Maroons a free kick. Liam Camilleri stepped and buried the free kick, giving the Maroons a 1-0 lead.

In minute 62, Harrison Kraus had a shot but was denied by Schweinefuss.

The Eagles had chances late in the game, but two of them were called back because of offsides. The Maroons got another yellow card in the final minute of the game, but were unable to produce any offense from it, making the final score 1-0.

With the loss to the Roanoke Maroons, that ends the season for the Bridgewater men’s soccer team. They end the year at 9-6-3 and 5-4-1 in conference play. With nine wins on the year, that marks the most wins since 2018.