Jaylen Wood Leads Bridgewater Football to a 13-6 Win

Eagles Beat ODAC Rival Washington and Lee

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Junior Jaylen Wood uses his speed to avoid the Washington and Lee pass rush. Wood earned ODAC Offensive Player of the Week after Saturday’s performance at home.

Nathaniel Winebarger, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Junior Jaylen Wood threw for 115 yards and two touchdowns to boost the Eagles to 8-1 record with a win over Washington and Lee on Nov. 5 and earned ODAC Offensive Player of the Week. His performance on senior day also helped Bridgewater improve to a perfect 5-0 at home.  

“As for earning player of the week, I thank God for giving me the abilities to lead my brothers out there on the field.  Their trust in me means everything.  Could not do it without them,” said Wood. 

The Generals opened up the scoring when they drove down the field late in the second quarter to go up 6-0. The Eagles would not allow another point during the game and would only give up 225 yards for the whole contest. 

Junior Sam Adkins led the Eagles with 10 tackles on the day. Four of them were tackles for a loss.  

First-year Aaron Nice had nine tackles, while redshirt junior Aaron Moore had seven on the day.  

“When you are playing against a team like Washington and Lee, you have to have perfect eye discipline,” said Moore. “We had a few fourth down stops towards the end of the game, which is a good representation of what our defense is about.” 

The Eagles responded when Wood found graduate student Dylan Maclachlan for a 42-yard touchdown. It was Maclachlan’s first touchdown of the year. 

The Eagles missed the point after the touchdown attempt and went into the half notched at six.  

The defensive battle continued in the third quarter until Wood threw his second touchdown of the day to junior Freddie Watkins. The junior found the end zone for the fourth time in the 2022 campaign.  

The Eagles went 9-15 on third down in the contest, which proved to be the difference, as they converted four of them on the drive that led to the Watkins touchdown. Before Saturday, Bridgewater’s football program had only been held to less than 20 points once this season. 

“I am proud of the way my teammates stepped up and answered the challenge.  It was the type of win we needed against a top ODAC squad,” said Wood.

Senior Malcolm Anderson and Wood combined to find eight different receivers in the ball game, junior Tyler Gilliam caught five passes for 39 yards and senior Albert Mensah led the Eagle’s rushing attack with 46 yards.   

Before Saturday’s game, the Eagles also recognized 17 seniors on its annual senior day.  

At 8-1, the Eagles travel to Greensboro on Saturday, Nov. 12 to take on Guilford in the regular season finale. A win against the Guildford Quakers could possibly earn Bridgewater an automatic bid into the ODAC playoffs.  

For photos of the game, check out the full photo-story here.