Lack of Veterans Day Acknowledgement at BC

Students Left with Inquiries

David McLean

During a men’s lacrosse game at Bridgewater College, the American flag was flying high above the field. The majority of flags on campus can be found at sporting events.

Gianni Maltese, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- After Veterans Day passed on Friday, Nov. 11, students questioned why the holiday was not given greater attention on Bridgewater’s campus.

What’s New?

• Every year, the United States honors veterans through the celebration of Veterans Day, which is set aside as a day to pay respects for the sacrifice and heroism of those who have served.
  • Minimal acknowledgement of the holiday occurred on Bridgewater’s campus, other than an alumni spotlight posted by the college that did not mention Veterans Day by name. 

Why it Matters

• Some students feel that this day was not given the acknowledgement it deserved by the college and Student Life.
  • “Since it wasn’t mentioned in the weekly email, it’s as if the greater BC community does not know or understand what the people who serve and their families went through, and still go through, to have Veterans Day be a national holiday,” said first-year Patrick Coleman.
  • Other students expressed concern over the lack of recognition for the sacrifices made by veterans. 
  • “It’s important enough to be recognized campus wide,” said senior Dy’kierrya Whiting. “This would recognize the difficulties that not only the veterans themselves had to endure, but what military children and families like myself had to endure because of sacrifices made. The fact that we can go on with our daily lives without fear of attack or without even acknowledging the military or thinking about the military is because they protect us to where we don’t even have to.” 

What’s Ahead

• The next military holidays are six months away, with Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day in May. Due to these holidays occurring after the end of the spring semester, Bridgewater College will not have the opportunity to formally observe them. 
  • “I wish Bridgewater would have at least brought it up as a national holiday so that people could be aware of it and, either directly or indirectly, be thankful for the freedoms they have,” said Coleman.