Bridgewater Men’s Basketball Fall to Marymount 64-59

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Sophomore Shod Smith pushing the ball up the court. The Bridgewater Eagles had 13 different players on the court for the effort against Marymount.

Dylan Simpkins, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On Nov. 8, the Bridgewater men’s basketball team played their first game of the season, going against Marymount. 

Bridgewater received the first points of the game with a layup in transition by sophomore Aaron Oates, giving the eagles a 2-0 lead. As the game progressed, no team was able to gain a big lead, as each team kept trading buckets. 

Marymount was able to gain a four point lead 16-12 with 10:37 left in the first half, but Bridgewater was able to storm back with graduate student Andy Pack hitting a trey ball, giving them the lead 17-16 with 9:32 left to play in the first half. 

The first half featured ten total ties and several lead changes between Bridgewater and Marymount, and was close the entire first half, ending the half in a tie 29-29. 

As soon as the second half started, sophomore Shod Smith made a layup and put the Eagles in front. This was followed by a three-pointer from the Saints for another lead shift, and at that moment, the home team had a five-point lead, the biggest lead of the game. 

“It was a back and forth game,” said Oates. “Neither team could really gain the momentum, and it was just blow for blow.” 

Every time the Eagles scored or put in a basket, it seemed Marymount had an answer. As a layup from junior Alec Topper to put the eagles up, it was answered immediately by a Saint’s three. 

The momentum was there for Marymount as they were able to finally snuff out a 57-49 lead, which was the largest lead for the game. 

A late push for the game was in effect for the Eagles, who were only down by one basket 61-59, but Marymount was able to hold on, and win the game 64-59. 

“It was a hard loss for us at the start of the season, but we look to bounce back and keep moving forward,” said Smith.

Topper was the leading scorer for the Eagles, with 14 points, shooting seven for 13 from the field. He also grabbed six rebounds and had three steals.

Smith recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds, while having three assists and getting a pair of steals. 

Oates and Senior Liam Caswell both finished with nine points, while Oates also grabbed ten rebounds to go along with his day. 

The Eagles shot a total of 20-52 from the field, and only were able to hit three of their seventeen 3-pointers in the entire game.