The Men’s Basketball Team Defeated by Guilford 58-41

The Eagles Suffer a Loss to Open ODAC Play

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Sophomore Will Dunlap assumes a defensive position as he waits for his opponent to cross the court. For the Eagles, Dunlap enjoyed a career day with a career-high in minutes on the court.

Gianni Maltese, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On Saturday, Nov. 26, The men’s basketball team lost to the Quakers after a valiant fight and a noble effort for a comeback in the second half.

The Eagle’s season record now stands at 2-3 after this defeat, and they have more games to look forward to as the 2022–2023 campaign gets underway.

The Eagles scored 23.5% of their field goals, 22.2% of their three-point attempts and 68.8% of their free throws. They will keep creating offensive opportunities in anticipation that they turn in their favor this season.

“I think we got some very excellent looks that just didn’t go in,” said senior Liam Caswell. “They are a strong team with good rebounding. It’s a long season, so we just need to stick together and play with confidence.”

One minute into the game, sophomore Landon Hawes made the game’s first three-pointer to put Bridgewater ahead 3-0. A few plays later, senior Tyler Dearman provided the Quaker’s response by going full court off a defensive rebound to make the score 5-0.

After Dearman’s basket, Guilford went on a 16-0 run that lasted for more than eight minutes until Hawes made a pair of free throws to bring the margin back to 11 at 5-16. After squeezing through the defense to score, sophomore Joseph Crenshaw was fouled, giving him an opportunity to make a three-point shot for Bridgewater.

With 8:46 left in the half, Crenshaw converted the free throw to get the Eagles within three possessions at 8-16 in favor of Guilford. The Quakers finished the half on a 17-10 run that included three three-pointers, giving them an 18-33 lead going into the break. 

The two teams traded buckets to start the second half, as Dearman sank a three-pointer and BC sophomore Shod Smith retaliated with a hoop of his own. Guilford went on a 9-0 run after the Smith basket to increase their advantage until freshman Taylor Fincham’s second-chance attempt in the paint interrupted the run.

Sophomore Will Dunlap led the way with nine points, all from long range, as Bridgewater outscored Guilford 18-5 in the last nine minutes. Dunlap had a career day, recording a career-high 29 minutes of playing time while scoring in double figures for the first time.

Dearman had a double-double of 15 points and 11 rebounds to lead all players. Dunlap, who scored ten points to lead BC, made three of his final four attempts. 

Down the stretch of the Eagles’ comeback attempt, Dunlap proved crucial.

Smith had a game-high five assists and three steals, while Dunlap and Senior Liam Caswell each had a team-high six rebounds. The Eagles will attempt to boost the number of second chances they successfully convert.

Although turnovers were almost even with BC recording just two more, Guilford scored 18 points off them as opposed to Bridgewater’s eight. As their ODAC competition eventually cranks up, the Eagles will strive to seize their opportunities.

“We didn’t play to our full ability, but it’s still early in the season, and we have time to address certain problems, so if we stay focused, we can have a successful season,” said Dunlap.

On Nov. 30, at 7 p.m., Bridgewater will face Roanoke in another competitive ODAC match.