Celebrating the Legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

• On Jan. 16, the community of Bridgewater and Bridgewater College celebrated the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

• Alex Jensen (Left), Regan Robinson (Right). “MLK’s legacy has had a lot to do with society today and the continued progress in efforts of anti-racism. I think that without MLK, the door wouldn’t be open for a lot of the constructive conversations about race people are having today,” said junior Alex Jensen.

• “I think his legacy was that he finally got society to understand that all individuals deserve to have equal rights as they are stated in the national legal documents, like the U.S. Constitution,” said junior Jasmine Jones. “Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. implemented his legacy on society; that there should be equality for all regardless of skin color.”

• The march began at Oakdale Park with a few speeches from the Associate Dean of Students – Diversity and Inclusion Gauri Pitale, BSA president Amere Langley, Chaplin Robbie Miller, Reverend James and President David Bushman.

• The march was led through Main Street of the town of Bridgewater with a police escort to keep the marchers safe from traffic.

• Hannah Mahane (Left), Mark Gordon (Center), Bryce Cline (Right). This year was the first time both communities have gathered together to celebrate King’s legacy since the pandemic. For some students, it was their first time participating in the march.

• “This was my first time participating,” said Jones. “I didn’t attend Bridgewater until the fall of 2020 amidst the pandemic.”

• The march ended at Cole Hall where participants were greeted with light refreshments in the Eagle’s Nest and lunch in the KCC. “This was my first time going to the march, but I wish I had gone sooner. It was fun,” said Jensen.

Lamont Jones, Staff Writer