Skyline Literacy

Skyline Literacy

The Citizenship Preparation Program consists of a small group of learners led by tutors at Skyline Literacy. They are taught US history, government, reading, writing and interviewing skills.

Hunter Aversa, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Skyline Literacy, a non-profit organization in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County, announced on Jan. 3 that it has been awarded a Citizen and Integration Grant of $161,455 from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services for the period of Oct. 1, 2022 to Sept. 30, 2024.

Since 1987, Skyline Literacy has aimed to serve adults in the local community that struggle with literacy, and offers comprehensive services for learners such as citizenship preparation, GED test preparation and computer literacy.

This grant works to provide Citizenship classes for 60 lawful permanent residents in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County each year of this two-year project. The application process will be managed by Skyline Literacy’s grant partner, Church World Services of Harrisonburg, who will hold naturalization consultations and eligibility screenings.

“I believe that the services they offer have made an impact on those people’s lives,” said sophomore Luis Gutierrez. “For those trying to be United States citizens, it is not easy for them to prepare for such exams because English is not their first language in some circumstances.”

Skyline Literacy is supported by a number of donors and volunteers who provide their services to over 300 adults annually and are always interested in accepting new volunteers eager to share their knowledge to those looking to improve on literacy skills.

“I think it is really cool that there are organizations like that who are willing to help people become citizens and learn the things they need to learn to be successful in the process of becoming citizens,” said sophomore Elizabeth Melton. “It is a kind thing to do. It spreads a little bit of joy and happiness throughout the community and helps us become more diverse and more welcoming to people of all backgrounds.”