A Showcase of Talent at Open Mic Night

• Open Mic Night, presented by CEAT on Jan. 28, provided an opportunity for students to showcase their talents on campus. Attendance was sparse at the beginning, but a steady flow of people continued throughout the event, including junior Kevin Taylor who performed twice as a walk-on.

• The performances of the night were mostly music, but the event opened with junior Jacob Leach doing impressions. He involved the audience by allowing them to make requests, informing the audience that he would try to mimic anyone they suggested.

• Many of the performers took the stage several times, including sophomore Owen Grebner and first-year Stephen Marsden who performed both together and separately. “I really liked seeing [them] going up and singing together,” said sophomore Grayson Preece.

• According to the Director of Student Engagement & Leadership Sam Huyard, five students were signed up to perform before the event, but some could not make it. The time was filled with walk-ons and reprises.

• Several of the performers, including sophomore Kenzie Taylor, played guitar while singing. Others had music played from the computer to accompany them.

• Singers performed a variety of covers, such as sophomore Ashlyn Fogleman who sang “When You Say Nothing at All,” originally by Keith Whitley. “I kind of wanted to [before coming], but it was also spur of the moment,” said Fogleman.

• Leach took the stage a second time later in the event to perform a song. “I think it’s always cool to see the range of talents,” said Huyard.

• The event ended with Kevin Taylor returning to sing what he said was the only part of the song that he remembered. “I liked the last [performance] because that was the only one I saw,” said senior Olivia Harrison. “Also they have excellent cookies.”

Trey Pratt, Photography Manager