Bridgewater Men’s Basketball Falls to Averett in Away Matchup

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Senior Liam Caswell looks to make a play for the Eagles. Caswell finished with 20 points for the night.

Dylan Simpkins, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – On Feb. 18, the Bridgewater men’s basketball team suffered a loss to Averett, making their record 13-12 on the season. 

The Bridgewater versus Averett game had a close finish, with only a two-point differential. With a final score of 66-64, the Eagles fell to Averett. 

Early in the game, both teams swapped three-pointers, and senior Liam Caswell scored two free throws to gave the Eagles a 5-3 advantage.

The Cougars were able to respond with another big three-pointer, but sophomore Aaron Oates was able to secure a layup, putting the Eagles back in the lead on the next possession. 

Averett then responded quickly by scoring again, but another bucket from Oates, followed by one from Caswell, gave the eagles a 12-8 lead.

The back and forth continued as both sides traded buckets, but a three-pointer by Averett tied the game 20-20. After an offensive foul committed by the Eagles, Averett was able to get a layup, giving the Cougars the lead. 

On the next possession, sophomore Shod Smith was able to find Caswell on the low block for an easy score. Following that possession, the Cougars scored another one from deep, giving them the lead.

Both teams were trading buckets until a second chance opportunity from Smith gave the Eagles the advantage. Both teams again went back and forth in the final six minutes of the first half, but Bridgewater was able to capture the lead from a layup by Caswell heading into the second. 

“At the half, we were feeling pretty good and liked the opportunities we were getting,” said Caswell. “We just needed to stop them.” 

The second half started no differently from the first. Both teams traded scores until graduate-student Andy Pack sparked an 11-2 run for the Eagles, giving them a 50-40 lead with a little over 15 minutes left to play. 

The back-and-forth style of play continued until Averett cut the lead in half, but three free-throws from the Eagles pushed the lead back to eight. Followed up by a sophomore Mikey Ayala three-pointer, the Eagles were up 60-49. 

The next seven minutes of the game belonged to the Cougars, who went on a 14-2 run capped off by an Averett three-pointer. 

The Cougars were able to score another basket extending their lead by three, until Caswell knocked in a pair of free throws. This cut it to a one-point game, with 1:15 left to go. 

“Liam really helped us out there, and really kept us in the game, hitting those free-throws,” said sophomore Will Dunlap.

Pack had a look from three, but missed, forcing the Eagles to foul. The Cougars missed both from the line, but an offensive foul on the other end forced  Bridgewater to foul again. 

Averett’s Jordan Lewis made the first but missed the second. Caswell secured the rebound and immediately called a timeout. 

On the inbound play, Pack looked for the long pass but had it broken up as time expired for Averett to secure the victory 66-64. 

The next game for Eagles will be on Feb. 24 against Guilford in the ODAC Tournament Quarterfinals.