Eagles Impress at Indoor Track ODAC Championships

Lydia Hart

Sophomore Mike Smith attempts to break the Bridgewater school record in shot-put. Smith has beaten his own personal best with shot-put three weeks in a row.

Gianni Maltese, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On Feb. 26, the Bridgewater men’s and women’s track teams participated in the ODAC Indoor Track & Field Championships held in Roanoke College’s Cregger Center.

The Eagles’ men’s and women’s teams each gave their all for the day, and as a result, the men’s team came in second while the women’s team came in fourth.

Men’s Track

Sophomore Mike Smith started the day off right by winning the shot-put with a throw of 14.83 meters, a new personal best. Smith rose to second place overall in Bridgewater athletics history for the event.

“Man, my teammates really showed up with their support,” said Smith. “I was glad to win the shot-put though with a massive PR and again that just came from the insane support I felt from my amazing teammates and coaches especially. ODACS overall was awesome. We all reach our goals and then some.” 

In the shot put, senior Peter Fulton furthered the Eagles’ dominance by finishing second with 14.20 meters.

Sophomore Easton Repko placed second in the pole vault for the Eagles, posting a season-best height of 4.15 meters.

Junior Anthony Matthews finished third in the triple jump with a best jump of 14.17 meters, breaking his previous record. Matthews climbs to eighth on the Eagles’ all-time list for the pole vault with this new personal record.

With a time of 8.67 seconds, first-year Aaron Moon finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles, setting a new personal record, and moving him up to 10th place in Bridgewater athletic history for the event.

Senior Kaegan Avalos ran the 400-meter with a time of 50.38, scoring for the Eagles team. 

Junior Anthony Cadle and first-year Ryder Rose both raced the mile with new personal bests for the Eagles, clocking times of 4:38.18 and 4:48.49 respectively.

Women’s Track

Day two of the ODAC Indoor Track and Field Championships was completed by the Bridgewater College women’s track and field team, who were led by junior Adalia Coleman’s record-breaking performance.

Coleman earned All-ODAC honors by winning the 60-meter race in 7.54 seconds, tying the school record set by three-time NCAA champion Amber Celen in 2017. Coleman is ranked first in Division III and tied for ninth all-time in Division III history after this outstanding performance.

Coleman also set a record in the 200-meter race, winning in 25.15 seconds. With this time, Coleman set a new personal record, moving her to ninth in Division III, and placing her second all-time in Eagles history for the event.

“The support from my team is truly what got me through my races this weekend,” said Coleman. “Overall it was greater than I could even imagine. We exceeded our expectations in many ways and it feels good! it was a great way to end indoor and has us pumped and ready for outdoor to begin.” 

Graduate student Kacee Hooker also had a standout performance, scoring points for the Eagles in the 200-meter by placing fourth with a time of 26.11. In a tough 400-meter race, Hooker finished fourth with a time of 1:00.30. 

Junior Mackenzie Young scored points for the Eagles in the mile run by placing seventh with a time of 5:22.53. With a time of 6:29.78, sophomore Molly Williamson also achieved a new personal best in the competition.

With a time of 10:45.34, sophomore Emily Smeds ran the 3000-meter in a new personal best. Smeds also rose one spot to seventh all-time for the Eagles in this event. With a time of 11:54.14, sophomore Sarah Earle also achieved a new personal best in the 3000-meter.

Junior J’Quaycia Brown achieved a new personal best in the triple jump on the field with 10.42 meters. First-year Jade Buckles also established a new record with a leap of 10.45 meters, placing her tenth in the event.