3/13 Men’s Baseball Recap

Eagles baseball drop two games on the road to Lynchburg

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Senior outfielder Hunter Clever rounds the bases in their game versus Piedmont on March 5 in Demorest, Ga. Clever helped push the momentum in the Eagles’ first game versus Lynchburg.

Allison Burris, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater Eagles baseball team traveled to Lynchburg on Saturday, March 11 to play a doubleheader versus Lynchburg University, but fell short in both games. 

March 11: Game One

The Hornets opened up the first inning of the game converting off an error by the Eagles putting them up 1-0 to start the day off. The game was scoreless for three innings after and the teams traded base hits and outs.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Lynchburg hit to center field, allowing their runner to score from third for another run. Not long after, the Hornets brought home another run off a double to left field. The Hornets added to their lead on a two-run RBI single to left field. 

Junior catcher Brandon Hartman built the Eagle’s momentum in the top of the sixth inning with a hit to left field, getting fifth-year outfielder Jarret Biesecker to second base. Senior outfielder Hunter Clever nailed a ball to center field, advancing Biesecker to third and Hartman to second. 

Senior catcher Johnathan Sexton put the Eagles on the board with a three-run double getting Clever, Biesecker and Hartman home. 

The Hornets responded in the bottom of the sixth with another run. Both teams went scoreless in the seventh inning. 

The eighth inning brought home three more runs for the Hornets off wild pitches from the Eagles. The ninth inning ended with a score of 9-3 for the Hornet’s win. 

March 11: Game Two

The second game of the day between the Eagles and Hornets had a slow start and went scoreless in the first two innings. In a series of plays in the bottom of the third inning, the Hornets converted and scored their first run off a hit to second base.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Lynchburg scored on a fly ball to center field and put another run on the board. The Hornets wasted no time and at the next at-bat rocketed a ball out for a home run securing another run.

Biesecker got the Eagles moving in the top of the fifth inning with a hit to the right side, moving junior infielder Kyle Carlson to second base and Sexton to third. Senior infielder Jeffrey Snider cleaned up the job, hitting a ball to right field and bringing Carlson and Sexton in for two points for the Eagles. 

The Eagles were not done yet, as senior first baseman Collin Reid connected with the ball and sent it to right field allowing Snider and Biesecker to put two runs on the board. This sequence would put the Eagles up 4-3 at the top of the fifth.

The Hornets responded in the bottom of the fifth inning, capitalizing on an error by the Eagles to tie the game up at 4-4. 

A hit by senior infielder Isaiah Blanks in the top of the sixth inning allowed Carlson to third base and sophomore outfielder Lucas Bauer to score on a wild pitch. 

The Eagles held a 5-4 lead against the Hornets until the bottom of the eighth inning when the Hornets got a hit to second base, allowing one of their runners to tie the game again 5-5.

Bridgewater was held scoreless in the top of the ninth, and the Hornets took advantage in the bottom of the ninth, scoring from a hit to center field. This run secured the Hornet’s win 6-5.

Bridgewater will be back in action Tuesday, March 14 against Mary Washington at 3 p.m. in Fredricksburg, Va.