Eagles Men’s Lacrosse Triumph over Ferrum College

Melia Ross

Junior Trevor McClelland scored a total of four goals. After the game, this cemented himself, along with junior Hayden Gourley, at the 50 career points mark.

Melia Ross, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On Saturday, March 18, the Bridgewater men’s lacrosse team defeated Ferrum College 18-5 on a sunny afternoon.

The Eagles dominated from start to finish in their ODAC opener versus Ferrum College, with a final margin of 13 between the teams. 

The game started off with the Eagles striking first with a goal from junior Trevor McClelland from the assist by graduate student Chris Martel.

Junior Colby Smith found the net less than two minutes later to extend the Eagles’ lead. The Eagles maintained a 2-0 lead after the opening quarter of play. 

The Eagles outscored the Ferrum Panthers 7-1 in the second quarter. McClelland scored his second goal of the contest from a pass from junior Hayden Gourley less than two minutes into the quarter. The Eagles then went on to score three straight goals, making the score 6-0.

“This was a really fun game to watch,” said spectator Katie Roach. “The crowd was so excited, and I can’t wait to see how the Eagles play the rest of their season.”

The Panthers responded by scoring their first goal of the game with just under nine minutes left in the first half, making the score 6-1.

The Eagles ended the quarter with another three-goal run. McClelland completed the first-half hat trick after registering his third goal with just under four minutes left in the second quarter.

“Trevor played a great game and shot the ball very well,” said Gourley. “It is awesome to see all his hard work in practice pay off in a game.”

Sophomore long-stick midfielder Eddie Ross IV ended the first half scoring with his second goal of the year, making the score 9-1 heading into halftime.

The Eagles opened the second half with a goal from first-year Riley Stewart from a pass from senior Connor McLean, to make the score 10-1.

The Eagles then went on to score four more goals in the third quarter to make the score 14-1 after 45 minutes of play. 

Junior long-stick midfielder Clay Lawrence registered his first collegiate goal, which was part of the third quarter scoring for the Eagles. 

McClelland notched his fourth goal of the game with a pass from junior attackman Kevin Tiffey to open the scoring in the fourth quarter, making the score 15-1.

Burgit then scored his second goal of the game before a Panther run shifted the momentum.

The Panthers responded with four consecutive goals, making the score 16-5 with just under six minutes left in the game. 

Senior Gysbertus Metten scored his first goal of the season with just under five minutes left in the contest. 

First-year Oliver Nowell-Short registered his first collegiate goal less than two minutes later to end the game’s scoring, making the final score 18-5. 

“It was a total team win for us,” said McClelland. “It was great to see a lot of young guys play and see some action in the game. I’m proud of how we played and hope we can continue the momentum heading into our next couple of games.”

The Eagles will return to action on the road at St. Mary’s on Saturday, March 25 at 4 p.m.