Bridgewater Baseball Scores a Season-High 20 Runs

The Eagles top Mary Baldwin on a blustery day 

Jaden+Isidro

Jaden Isidro

Jaden Isidro pitches during a spring break game in Georgia. The first-year has 16 strikeouts in just 11.2 innings pitched this season.  

Nate Winebarger, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Eagles went back to the winning column Wednesday evening after a win against Mary Baldwin 20-5 at home. The Eagles had four different players record three or more hits en route to the win. 

Head Coach Ben Spott’s team brought a lot of energy and capitalized on opportunities early.  

First-year Jaden Isidro picked up the win for the Eagles, going four strong innings and allowing just five hits and an earned run. Isidro also recorded five strikeouts.  

“It is great to be able to get out there and show I can help get the team a win,” said Isidro.  

Isidro was not the only underclassman to get into the action Wednesday. 

First-year Luke Tomajczyk led the way offensively with four RBIs. He also added three hits in the afternoon. First-year Isaac Sumpter also had three hits for the Eagles.  

“I thought we swung the bat really well as a team and we did a good job capitalizing on big hits in clutch situations,” said Sumpter.  

Sumpter is batting at a .360 rate in his first collegiate season.  

“It is always good to have a game like that where the starters go out and get us a big lead and then some younger guys get to come in and get some playing time,” said junior James Swart.  “It is a good energy builder, especially going into a weekend with three games.”  

Swart did not see the mound against Mary Baldwin, but has pitched the second most innings of anybody this season, providing veteran leadership to mesh with the young talent.  

Isidro received help from the offense early when junior Tristan Gordon sent a high fly ball over the left field fence to extend the Eagles’ lead to 4-0.  In the second inning, junior Brandan Hartman drove in two more runs to extend the lead, and singles from senior Brett Tharp and freshman Isaac Sumpter gave Bridgewater an 8-0 lead.  

It was not until the third inning that Mary Baldwin would get on the scoreboard. However, the Eagles would respond again with four runs of their own to extend the lead to ten. Senior Hunter Clever and Tomajzcyk both drove in runs. Sumpter also joined the party, driving in another run to make it 12-2. 

The Eagles’ bats went quiet until the sixth inning when senior Jeff Snider reached base on an error scoring junior Kyle Carlson. Tomajczyk and Tharp each added another RBI in the inning.  The Eagles jumped out to a 16-run lead in the seventh inning; the biggest lead of the game.  

Bridgewater surrendered two runs in the eighth and one more in the ninth, but responded with two more runs of their own to cap off a 20-run day.  

The Eagles are 8-12 overall and 2-2 in ODAC play.  They return to the field when they host Hood College in a non-conference game on Tuesday, March 21.