BC Tennis Recap: Eagles’ Women and Men’s Tennis Go 1-1 Against Guilford

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Sophomore Matthew Leonard and senior Noah Hughes talk about their next move against Guilford on Friday in Greensboro, North Carolina. Hughes and Leonard got two points in the set but lost 8-2.

Allison Burris, Staff Writer

Women’s Tennis: 3/24

Bridgewater, Va.- The Eagles soared past the Quakers on Friday going 9-0 on the day in Greensboro, Nc.

Bridgewater secured all three points in the doubles matchups to start the day. Senior Emma Nesselrodt and junior Ryan Roeber secured the first win of the day 8-6 at one doubles.

Junior Emily Wylie and senior Malena Hoover followed up Nesselrodt and Roeber at two doubles with an 8-6 win to give the Eagles another point. This win pushed the Eagles ahead 2-0. 

Senior Kaci Pitsenbarger and fifth-year Emily Daigneault secured a win at three doubles due to a forfeit by the Quakers. This ended doubles and put the Eagles at 3-0 going into singles. 

Nesselrodt opened singles and won in two sets with 7-5 and 6-4 against Guilford. Daigneault followed in her footsteps by winning both her sets 6-4 and 7-5. Hoover kept up the heat and won her first set 7-6 with a 7-3 tiebreak and her second 6-2. 

Roeber left no breathing room for the Quakers as she secured a 6-1, 6-0 win for the Eagles. Wylie dominated in her singles matches, sweeping her opponent 6-0 in both matches to keep the Eagles rolling. Pitsenbarger would secure another forfeit win to close out the day in Greensboro. 

The Eagles ended up 9-0 to close out the match and bring home the win. 

The Eagles will play again on Wednesday, March 29 at 2 p.m. at home against Randolph College.

Men’s Tennis: 3/24

Senior Noah Hughes and sophomore Matthew Leonard kicked off one doubles for the men’s team but fell short 8-2 to the Quakers. Junior Bryce Cline and sophomore Mark Gordon competed in the second set of doubles, but couldn’t come back, and lost the set 8-3.

First-year Ryan Briggman and junior Nicholas Arnold fought hard in the third set of doubles but ended the set 8-1. At the end of the doubles, the score was 3-0 in favor of the Quakers.

Leonard started one singles for the Eagles but came up short in both sets 6-3. Gordon was next in the lineup for the Eagles and started hot by winning the first set 6-2, but fell 7-5 in the second and lost in a tiebreak for the third set 10-4.  

Cline was defeated by the Quakers in both sets 6-0 and 6-1. Briggman followed Cline in the line-up and was swept 6-0 in both sets. Hughes also fell short at six doubles in both sets 6-1. Arnold had the last sets of the day for the Eagles but was unsuccessful with 6-1 and 6-2.

The Eagles went 0-9 but battled in each match. Bridgewater next plays on Tuesday, March 28 at 3 p.m. against Washington and Lee in Lexington, Va.