Men’s Lacrosse Fall Short in an away match against St. Mary’s College

David McLean

Junior Hayden Gourley sprints to the goal to attempt a shot against the Seahawks. The Eagles will attempt to gain back a win in their next game, after such a devastating loss against St. Mary’s.

Melia Ross, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- On Saturday, March 25, the Bridgewater men’s lacrosse team lost in an away game against St. Mary’s College, with a final score of 24-5.

The St. Mary’s Seahawks dominated from start to finish in the Saturday evening match-up versus the Eagles, with a final margin of 19 between the teams. 

The game started with the Seahawks taking a commanding 9-0 lead over the Eagles after the first quarter of play.

First-year goalie Ian Cook came into the game in the second quarter.

The Seahawks added another goal in the early minutes of the second quarter, making the score 10-0. 

“Some things I thought we could have done better was just to stick to the fundamentals of lacrosse,” said junior Logan Railey. “Moving the ball on offense and talking on defense.”

The Eagles finally found the back of the net from the stick of graduate student Chris Martel with a pass from senior Connor McLean.

McLean scored an unassisted goal of his own less than two minutes later, making the score 10-2. 

The Eagles scored another goal from Martel, making it 10-3 with nine minutes left in the first half of the game.

The Seahawks ended the first half with five unanswered goals, making the score 15-3 heading into the break. 

“I thought Ian did a great job coming into the game during the second quarter,” said junior Hayden Gourley. “He made some big saves and provided a different spark for us during a low point in the game.”

The Eagles were held scoreless in the third quarter as the Seahawks netted five more goals taking a 20-3 lead heading into the final quarter.

St. Mary’s College outscored the Eagles in the fourth quarter 4-2. 

Martel notched his third goal of the game in the fourth quarter, reaching 20 goals for the season.

First-year Luke Wendler scored the last goal for the Eagles with a pass from Gourley, making the final score 24-5.

Cook finished the game with nine saves and two ground balls. 

“Our team can grow and improve from this game,” said Cook. “We need to communicate better and learn to stay positive during the tough moments in a game.”

The Eagles will return to action for a home game against Mary Washington on March 29 at 7 p.m.