Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA Hope to Take Gold

Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA Facebook

Votes for the Shenandoah Valley Best closed on March 24, 2023 and will be announced on June 1, 2023. Community members can explore their magazine release and see the many businesses including nonprofits in the area.

Hunter Aversa, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA won gold in the Shenandoah Valley Best nonprofit organizations in 2022 and hope to win in 2023 as well, continuing to spread the word of their mission of helping animals throughout the valley.

Shenandoah Valley Best works to spotlight and celebrate Harrisonburg Radio Group’s listeners favorite businesses, people, and places in the Shenandoah Valley. 

Since 1973, Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA has provided pet adoption in the Shenandoah Valley as a no-kill private nonprofit animal shelter. Their mission is to provide a community that is free of pet homelessness and animal suffering through adoption and advocacy.

“I think that it’s great to have organizations like that because they contribute massively to the community, specifically the Bridgewater and Harrisonburg community,” said sophomore Luis Gutierrez Palacios. “Especially because there are a bunch of pets that are abandoned and mistreated. Having people that care about them allows the pets to find a better home.”

Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA offers a variety of services, ranging from lost and found pets, rehoming a pet, pet cremation and a community cat program.

Last year, Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA helped over 1500 pets get adopted and saved the lives of about 2500 pets in total.

“I think it’s great that they are getting a spotlight like this,” said sophomore Elizabeth Melton. “I hope that they are able to reach more people and help more pets find homes.”

Those wanting to support Rockingham-Harrisonburg SPCA can help by donating money and various pet related items, as well as volunteering or attending upcoming events.