BC Softball Recap: 3/26

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Junior Jazmyne Smith poses at media day for the 2022-23 season. The Eagles are 12-8 on the year and 2-0 in ODAC play.

Kevin Tiffey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater women’s softball team won both games in its doubleheader at Mary Baldwin on March 21. The Eagles won the first game 7-2 and the second game 8-3. 

Game One

The Eagles got the day going in the second inning as first-year McKenna Mueller hit a single to center field. First-year Andrea Savage followed that up with a double that brought home sophomore Morgan Lucas across home plate. 

First-year Jordan Wise immediately brought home Mueller and Savage across the home plate from a double. The Eagles were up 3-0 in the second. 

Mary Baldwin responded right after in the bottom of the second as Trinity Thomas hit a single that brought in Fighting Squirrel Allison Crum to make the score 3-1 with the Eagles still in the lead. 

In the top of the fourth, Lucas hit a home run to extend the Eagles’ lead to 4-1. 

In the top of the fifth, senior Brooklynn Fridley hit a home run to center field that brought in graduate student Torie Shifflett to make the score 6-1. 

Mary Baldwin returned to the board as MBU’s Leanna Rankin brought in Paige Fix on an RBI single. The Eagles got their last run of the game as Mueller came across home plate on a wild pitch in the top of the fifth inning.

Lucas and Fridley both had home runs, Wise had two RBIs and Savage had one. 

The Eagle’s pitching had a total of four strikeouts. Martin and Swift struck out four batters each to secure an epic win over MBU in the first game. 

Game Two

Junior Jazmyne Smith got it going in the top of the second for the Eagles as she hit a home run. Savage and Wise each hit singles to put two runners on for the Eagles. Shifflett followed up with a double, bringing in Savage and Wilson across home plate. 

Fridley hit another home run bringing home Shifflett to make the score 5-0.

Freshman Averi Phillips crossed the plate next for the Eagles from an error, and sophomore Hannah Mahan hit a single that brought Savage home to extend the lead 7-0. 

Mary Baldwin finally got on the board in the bottom of the third on a fielder’s choice. It wasn’t until the top of the sixth when MBU’s Kaelyn Ramsey hit a single that brought Fridley. 

Mary Baldwin scored two more runs on a sacrifice fly from Raegen Frazier and a run driven in by Crum. 

Fridley went 4 for 5 at bat with a home run, two RBIs and two runs scored. Shifflett ended with two RBIs and went 3 for 5 at the plate.

The Eagles had four different pitchers in game two and combined for eight strikeouts.