BC Sports Recap: 4/5 Softball Doubleheader 

Bridgewater Media

Graduate student infielder Torie Shifflett looks for an opportunity to catch the ball. Shifflett finished the game against CNU with two at-bats.

Emily Wylie, Sports Editor 

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater College softball team dropped both games in a doubleheader against Christopher Newport University on April 5.

Game One

The Eagles pulled an early lead in the top of the first as graduate student Sarah Wimer hit a home run to left field, allowing herself and fellow graduate student Torie Shifflett to score. Wimer’s two RBI boosted the score to 2-0 before CNU took over at the bottom. 

The CNU Captains followed in the lead of the Eagles and picked up two points for themselves to tie 2-2. The second and third innings remained scoreless as both teams collected back-to-back outs. 

The Captains finally broke the period in the bottom of the fourth as Abby Rochette doubled to left center, allowing for a single RBI, as Sammy Drew claimed her spot at home base. 

The fifth also remained scoreless for both Eagles and Captains as both teams focused all their efforts on defense. The Eagles’ first, second and third basemen caught the three outs for the Captains and headed into offense in the sixth. 

The Eagles were unable to score during their possession and returned to the field. CNU put up an impressive effort to close out the game as Jules Donnelly stole second, advanced to third and finally stole home to hold the Eagles. 

The game ended with a score of 4-2 in favor of the Captains. 

Game Two

The first inning was unsuccessful for Bridgewater and CNU on the scoring front, with both teams headed into the second with no points on the board.

The second sparked excitement for the Eagles as sophomore infielder Hannah Mahan singled through the left side, allowing senior outfielder Brooklynn Fridley to set up camp at home base. Fridley boosted the score to an Eagle-leading 1-0. 

CNU used their half of the second well and added three points to their name. The Eagles headed into the third down 3-1.

This was no feat for sophomore infielder Morgan Lucas as she blasted a home run to left-center. Both Lucas and first-year infielder Averi Phillips increased the tally on the Eagle’s side of the scoreboard to tie the Captains 3-3. 

CNU increased the score in their favor at the bottom of the third to 4-3 and left the Eagles scoreless at the top of the fourth. The captains used the bottom of the fourth to spread the gap to 5-3. The fifth inning provided quick and easy outs for both teams, maintaining the score. 

The Eagles, unable to make a comeback in the sixth, left room for the Captains to dominate 11-3. CNU collected six points in the bottom of the sixth and closed out BC. The game ended with the mercy rule and a disappointing loss for the Eagles. 

Bridgewater softball is set to take on Eastern Mennonite University on April 11 in a doubleheader at 3 and 5 p.m.