Eagles Baseball Falls Short to Shenandoah on the Road

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Catcher Jonathan Sexton meets his team at the mound to discuss strategy. Sexton went 2-4 on the night with an RBI.

Evan Maxey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Eagles baseball team lost to No. 3 ranked Shenandoah 10-2 in an ODAC matchup on Tuesday night.

The Eagles started the game with a single from junior Brandon Hartman. This hit extended Hartman’s current on base streak to 30 games. 

Bridgewater was unable to capitalize on the early game single and ended the inning on a fielder’s choice from Shenandoah.

Junior pitcher James Swart got the start on the bump for the Eagles Monday night. In the bottom of the first inning, Shenandoah struck first with a bases loaded walk to take an early 1-0 lead. 

After a scoreless top of the second inning for the Eagles, Shenandoah got right back to work, loading the bases again. This time they would take advantage with a grand slam and take a 5-0 lead over BC. 

Both squads went scoreless through the third inning before Bridgewater finally broke through in the top of the fourth. The connection came with senior Jonathan Sexton delivering an RBI single to drive in Hartman and make the score 5-1. 

Bridgewater held the Hornets in check for the bottom of the fifth inning, but Shenandoah blew things open in the bottom of the sixth.

The Hornets ended up tacking on another five runs after an early two-run double from Shenandoah’s Frankie Ritter. This gave the No. 3 team in the nation a 10-1 lead as they went into the seventh inning. 

“They are a really well coached team and they don’t make mental mistakes. There is a reason they are the No. 3 ranked team in the country,” said Tharp.

The Eagles tried to get back into the game with Sexton’s lead off double followed by a wild pitch to get him over to third. Sophomore Camden Herron reached base on an infield single which drove in Sexton. 

This cut the lead to 10-2, but it was as the closest margin for the rest of the game. Junior pitcher Nick Griffin came in and delivered a scoreless eighth and ninth inning on the mound for the Eagles, but Bridgewater was unable to get the bats going again.

Sexton and senior Jeffery Snider led the Eagles on the day, both with two hits in the game. Bridgewater was forced to go to the bullpen early and never recovered with the pitching staff, walking three and allowing sixteen hits on the day. 

“We need to put this one behind us and focus up on the rest of the season,” said Sexton. 

The loss sends the Eagles to 12-20 on the year and 5-9 in the ODAC. The Eagles look to close out the regular season with seven straight ODAC games before preparing for postseason play. 

Bridgewater will be back in action on Saturday, April 15 in a double header against visiting Roanoke College.