BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Family Weekend at Bridgewater College

Orte
The Bridgewater College development team playing a game on Sunday against North Carolina Wesleyan as the last gathering event for friends and families.

Bridgewater, Va.-  Starting on Sept. 15, Bridgewater College celebrated family weekend by hosting a game of Family Feud, the football game and other events for alumni, fans and students. 

“We have been going to season openers tailgating for a while now, supporting our fellow Eagles on the football field,” said Bridgewater College alumni Charles Wilson. “We show up early to set up a lot of games, merchandise stands and really try to show support. Since this was a family weekend, the back end zone tailgating spot has been packed.”

Alumni, staff, faculty and students all were able to enjoy the events taking place on campus throughout the weekend. The two biggest events that brought the most people together were the football game on Saturday and the junior varsity football game on Sunday evening.

“Seeing a lot of familiar faces in the stands for the football team’s development game was really great,” said Wilson. In a sense you can try to reconnect with old friends and peers that you went to classes with over the years while you were at the college.”

“The experience with my parents being able to be in attendance at the football game was great,” said senior Jaylin Hertz. “Being this is my last year at Bridgewater College, it was important that my parents be able to enjoy my last family weekend with me.”

Many students used this weekend to engage in activities and events with family and friends since they are away for a great period of time during the school year.

“It was great because during the school year, I don’t get to see my family very often since I am so busy throughout the week,” said junior Alex Jensen. 

The tailgating area on Saturday was filled with a lot of people who showed up bright and early for the game, wearing their school colors to show support, and having fun games and small merchandise being given out.

The experiences of family weekend were great for incoming students, and their friends or families, that are interested in applying to attend Bridgewater college. 

Another event that took place on Saturday was the family lunch at the Kline Campus Center  which allowed for students and their families to eat together. 

“Being able to see my family and eat lunch together with them was very important to me because usually my favorite part of my day is sharing my experiences with my parents over a meal, but since I’m in college, I don’t have the luxury to do that right now,” said Jensen

“Seeing all the tailgates, events and Bridgewater alumni when I used to go to the football games back when I was in high school made me want to go to Bridgewater because of the great experience,” said freshman Utshab Rai.