BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Bridgewater Students at the Funk

Hunter Aversa
Two BC students duke it out at the Funkhouser Center

The students of Bridgewater College love the Funkhouser Center every day at BC because it is a place to exercise and students go there by walking or by driving. Students go there daily to play basketball and other sports.

Students go there for about an hour or more to get their workout on. “I lift and hoop”, says Michael Madsen. “It’s okay, not a lot of machine variety but we’ll make it work.”

Madsen talked about what he does at the Funk and why he goes there. “Because I like lifting, it helps me get my physical activity up for the day.” 

The Funk is used as a place not only to workout but to also socialize and connect with other students.

When interviewing Jett Daum one afternoon, he seemed to express a lot of interest in going to the Funk regularly. “I really like doing bench, bench is a big one and curls hammer curls and stuff like that” said Daum when I asked him about going there. “I normally go around 2:00” replied the student when he was asked when he goes to the Funk. 

People who go to the Funk can work out and it is a great place to exercise. With architecture, there are white walls there and ceiling, floors and walls of the building are different colors. Located on the far side of campus, the Funk has many windows on the side and is a big building. The basketball court is located towards the end of the building toward the right and the ping pong tables are located towards the back. 

During the school year people come and watch different sports games for people who are doing intramurals and friends of the people in the game  are on the sidelines and cheer for friends who are playing.

A few intramural games that happen throughout the year are basketball, dodgeball, soccer, and volleyball. The games happen towards the end of the day beginning from 6:30pm and could go all the way down to 10pm. People come to make friends and to just chill out and relax. I also interviewed Ellie Greenman on the same day, “I like coming here for ping pong. I think it’s pretty fun and sometimes basketball” when I asked her what kinds of things she does at the center. “I like that the gym is small and personal so you can just do what you need to do.”