The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Symphonic Band Plays in Cole Hall

Sammie Herbst
This year’s Symphonic Band, under the direction of Christine Carrillo, Chair of the Music Department, performs “A Zillion Nickels” in Cole Hall.

Bridgewater, Va.- On Nov. 12, 2023, the Symphonic Band, under the conductorship of Christine Carrillo, Chair of the Music Department, performed seven songs in Cole Hall at 3 p.m.

In the flute section, first years Estrella Ramos, Hailey-Ann Woodruff, and Libby Lingenfelter, second years Angelica Sanders, Amanda White, and Merary Mejia-Contreras, and third year Katie Johnson.

Third year Tara Martin played oboe. Second years Joseph Sepulveda and Patrick Coleman, and third year Maggie Hostelter played clarinet. While bass clarinet was played by first years Sebastian Bandell and Daniel Vargas Acevedo. Alumna Diamond Hawkins played bassoon.

There were several saxophone players. The alto saxophone second years Conner Scye and Matthew Wheaton. The tenor saxophone players included second year Abigail Ferguson and Chloe Fry. Fourth year Hailey Chaney played baritone saxophone.

Trumpet players included third year Nathan Sullivan, second year Andy Wildermuth, and first years Itali Hoover, Shelby Herrold, and Austin Cobb. Horn players included first years Gavin Shelton and Patricia Long.

In the trombone section, second years Charlie Hale and Mackenzie Patton, and third years Logan West and Sarah Alexander. Fourth year Marshal Ritchie played bass trombone. Hale, along with third year Owen Angell, Abby Wright, and first year Sebastian Kochall, played euphonium.

First years Matthew Bell and Nicholas Rhodes, second years Martin Stoner and Carly Dove, and third year Daniel Showalter played tuba.

The percussion section included first years Josh Allen, Brenden Bradbury and Anna Williams, second years Jory Cardoza, Stephen Layton, Eli Priest and Jeffery Robinson and third year Juliann Jacobs.

Edwin Eugene Bagley wrote “National Emblem March” in 1902. Pieces of it include the country’s national anthem.

Wright introduced the second song, “A Zillion Nickels” by Samuel Hazo in 1914. “The piece includes the New Jersey shore before and after Hurricane Sandy,” said Wright.

Percy Aldridge Grainger’s “Colonial Song” was introduced by Angell. This was Grainger’s first piece that was composed entirely of his own music. The reception at its debut in Australia was not well- received.

Next, Priest introduced Ryan Keebaugh, Assistant Professor of Music, for his composition entitled “Tremor.” Wine glasses filled with water added to the allusion of rays of sounds.

While the trumpets headed to the balcony, Dove introduced “Missing Man” by Jerker Johansson. Skip Burzumato, Senior Instructor of Sociology, spoke about his family, many of whom volunteered.

Ramos introduced Nubia Jaime-Donjuan’s “Little Mexican Suite: mvmt 3-Sahuaro” as the trumpets came back onstage. Jaime-Donjuan was awarded Concurso de Composición Arturo Márquez, the first woman to do so.

Coleman introduced the final piece of the night, Randall Standridge’s “Fracas.” “The piece was published early this year, and was on the edge of out of control,” said Coleman.