The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Bridgewater College Hosts an Open House for Highschool Students in the Campus Funkhouser Center

Ortez Marshman
An open house event takes place in the Funkhouser Center on campus where local highschool students get the opportunity to talk to representatives about different programs they have on campus. Students learn about the study abroad program and their number of options, depending on their major.

Bridgewater, Va.- At the open house on Jan. 20, students learned there are more than 150 opportunities to study abroad in 50 countries during a three week May term course.

There were other clubs at the open house like Esports and the marching band, but a lot of students were interested in the study abroad program with the highschoolers asking a lot of questions about how they can be involved.  

Every May, the college has about 3-6 travel courses. Depending on which faculty members are leading the courses, the cost can range from about 3,300 to 5,000 dollars, providing students with 2-3 weeks in another country. Any major can take an abroad May term class. Classes have previously traveled to Belize, the Galapagos Islands and Spain. 

“For our semester abroad, students will take 12-18 credits at a university in another country for a semester, and for the majority of the program, you will pay the same amount as you do at Bridgewater which is the tuition, financial aid and room and board,” said Anne Marsh, Director of Study Abroad.

The only out of pocket expenses would be the plane ticket, and if the student does not have a passport, they must get one. 

“I did the study abroad program last year and it was great being able to travel out of the country and experience a different way to study while enjoying being away with a few friends that joined me on the trip to France,” said junior Nathan Sullivan.