BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Ski Season is Here

Kinley Woodard
Massanutten after a snowstorm in January. Skiers and snowboards rush to the mountain to enjoy the fresh powder.

Elkton, Va- Massanutten Ski Resort has all of its slopes opened after getting a large amount of snow during the week of Jan. 15. 

With all the snowfall, and Massanutten blowing snow, all of the resort’s slopes are open and ready for skiing and snowboarding. The resort opened on Dec. 1, 2023 for season pass holders and was open to the general public on Dec. 2, 2023. Unfortunately, the slopes had to close shortly after due to warm weather. The resort reopened Dec. 15 and has remained open since. 

The ski resort operates from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday through Monday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday through Thursday, but Massanutten keeps the slopes open on Thursday nights from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. for its season pass holders. 

Sophomore Butler Frank talks about what he likes about snowboarding at Massanutten and said, “I enjoy snowboarding at Massanutten because of how close it is to Bridgewater, and I can go with my friends!”

Sophomore Kris Schultz talked excitedly about snowboarding and said, “I’ve never been snowboarding before so I wanted to try something new. I caught on really quickly and went down a black diamond. It was pretty rad.”

No Hesitation opened Jan. 17, 2024 as the ski resort’s first ever double black diamond. This year is the first season that No Hesitation has been open. The trail is steep to challenge skiers and snowboards as they try to attempt the run. 

Senior Gabriel Alexander talks about No Hesitation and said, “No Hesitation has become one of my favorite runs at Massanutten. The run can get very icy, but it adds to the difficulty of the double black diamond. It is short though, so that sucks.” 

With all the snowfall recently, Massanutten has had a Schools Out Special for students whose schools have been closed for snow. This special includes $35 eight hour lift ticket passes and $25 skiing and snowboarding rentals for the first 200 people to purchase online tickets with the resort’s promo code. The promo codes are posted on Massanutten’s Instagram on the days that the resort has its special. 

Every Monday night from Jan. 1, 2024 through Feb. 26, 2024, Massanutten hosts Monday Night Madness. Monday Night Madness is another special for only Monday nights from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. where the resort sells discounted tickets and rental equipment. Ski passes are sold for $35 and the ski and snowboarding equipment for $25. 

Senior Caroline Griffin talks about Monday Night Madness and said, “I really love Monday night skiing at Massanutten. The discounted ticket and times allow me to get to ski around my busy schedule of classes and sports.”