Jalapeños Officially Closed

Local Resturant Closes It’s Doors to Re-Open as Urgies

Urgies+will+soon+open+its+second+location+in+Bridgewater+in+the+former+building+of+Jalapenos+Southwest+Grill.+

Shaina Breeden

Urgies will soon open its second location in Bridgewater in the former building of Jalapenos Southwest Grill.

Shaina Breeden, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- Local restaurant, Jalapeños Southwest Grill, has officially closed its doors. A new restaurant, Urgies, is looking to open where Jalapeños used to be.

Jalapeños Southwest Grill, which was located on North Main Street in Bridgewater next to Generations Park Ice Skating Rink, has sold its business to Urgies after four years of operating in Bridgewater. 

According to Megan Byler, Parks and Recreation Coordinator for the Town of Bridgewater, Jalapeños Southwest Grill officially closed Sunday, Jan. 12th.

Gervasio Amato, owner of Jalapeños Southwest Grill located in Bridgewater and Harrisonburg and BurgerIM in Harrisonburg, sold all of the locations because he decided to go out of the restaurant business, said Byler. 

Amato has begun a new career as a mortgage advisor. 

Byler said the building Jalapeños Southwest Grill was operating in is leased from the Town of Bridgewater, but Urgies was sold the “business side of things” from Jalapeños, like the kitchen with all of its equipment and tables and chairs. 

Urgies is scheduled to open sometime in the beginning of February, according to Byler.

Urgies specializes in authentic Philadelphia Cheesesteaks. According to their website, “It took ten years of convincing by Steven Urglavitch, who, for years felt unfulfilled as a corporate healthcare leader, to persuade younger brother, Tommy Urglavitch, to leave a successful career in the Philadelphia region’s bar-restaurant scene to embark on the URGIE’s journey in the Shenandoah Valley. The mission was clear – to build a successful Authentic Philly Cheesesteak business by serving the highest-quality Philadelphia-style cheesesteaks with outstanding customer service. The Philly-Attitude is thrown in for authenticity – and good fun.” 

418 North Main Street in Bridgewater will be Urgies’ second location. Their first location is located at 245 East Water Street in Harrisonburg. 

Byler said, “Jalapeños was there for the first five seasons of ice skating, so it is sad to see them go. We are grateful for them being there to help get Generations Park started. We are also excited to bring something new to Bridgewater that has a different flare that might give our residents and college students a different type of place to eat at.”