Intramural Basketball: Final Week of Regular Season

Various Men’s Teams Look to the Playoffs

• Freshman Derrick “Turbo” Jenkins goes in for a layup over defenders during Thursday night’s match against Uszenski’s team.

• Freshman Jacob Sears shoots a three-point shot as he tries to help his team regain the lead. Sears was a basketball player in high school and is on Bridgewater College’s golf team.

• Senior Jay Scroggins shoots his free throw after being fouled. Scroggins was also the starting quarterback for Bridgewater College’s football team during the 2019 season.

Zachary Gray, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va – Two intramural teams faced off in their final regular season game at the Funkhouser gym on Thursday, Feb. 20, each wanting to continue their seasons into the playoffs. 

Last week, the last remaining undefeated teams went head to head in a match that saw senior Trey Stehpen’s team come out victorious.

Senior Keshaun Roundtree was looking to rebound his team to a win against Ronnie Uszenski’s team. Uszenski’s team came out and took the lead early, but Roundtree and his team quickly caught up and took over six minutes in. 

Throughout the first half, Uszenski himself was able to keep his team in the competition as they only trailed by six at the end of the first half. 

Roundtree’s team opened up the second half with a two point shot that was quickly followed by a three pointer. Roundtree’s team hit eight three point shots in the second half as Uszenski’s team struggled; only making four.

Roundtree was able to lead his team to 73-53 win after last week’s upset loss that ended their undefeated streak.  Roundtree’s team improved to 7-1 on the season, while Uszenski’s team fell to a .500 average with a 4-4 record to end the regular season. 

Both teams will be in the playoffs, as the league has shrunk after some teams have been kicked out for various reasons. 

Even after losing the game, freshman Jacob Sears came out with a smile on his face.

“I’m here to play for fun. Most of my teammates are on the golf team with me and it gives us something to do when the sport is not in season”, said Sears. 

The intramural basketball league is a good way for students to relax from their course loads and interact with fellow students who enjoy being active and playing sports with each other.