Bridgewater College Hoops Falls Short on the Road Against Guilford

Guilford Takes a 81-67 Win over the Men’s Basketball Team

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Junior guard Liam Caswell looks to score for the Eagles against Guilford during the game on Feb. 12. The Eagles lost 81-67.

Evan Maxey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – BC Men’s basketball fell to the Quakers of Guilford by a score of 81-67 on Feb. 12. 

The Quakers jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead over the Eagles with two back-to-back buckets from senior forward Liam Ward. The Eagles first points of the day ended up coming on a three-point jumper from first-year guard Shod Smith to make the score 5-3 with 18:13 left in the first half. 

Both teams continued to trade buckets throughout the first half before Bridgewater’s own junior guard Liam Caswell hit a three-point jumper to cut Guilford’s lead to 23-19 with 7:41 to play in the first frame. 

Guilford then went on a 21-8 run in the final seven minutes to take a 44-27 lead over the Eagles into the break. The Quakers were led by Ward, who totaled 15 first half points – shooting six of seven from the field. Ward was also the first player from either squad to hit double figures in points in the game.

The Eagles came out of halftime firing two three-point jumpers by sophomore guard Zach Hatter and senior guard Andy Pack. BC cut the lead to nine with 16:38 left. Pack was fouled on his made layup and successful free-throw. 

BC continued to battle throughout the half and got themselves back into the game. Bridgewater trailed by five with a steal and fast break layup from Smith with 4:25 left in the game. 

The Eagles first half deficit was just too much to overcome and wound up falling to the Quakers 81-67. Ward led all scorers on the night with a 25-point performance. The Eagles were led by sophomore forward Alec Topper who had a team high 19 points. 

With the loss, Bridgewater falls to 8-13 and 4-9 in the ODAC  – while the Quakers of Guilford move to 16-5 and 12-2 in the ODAC. The Eagles will get a day off before making their way to Hampton-Sydney to face the Tigers on Monday night.