Bridgewater College Eagles Drop Road Game to No 14. Ranked Shenandoah

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics

Head Coach Ben Spotts of the Bridgewater College Eagles baseball team comes out to talk to his infield to regroup. The Eagles went on to fall to Shenandoah University 13-4 on March 29.

Evan Maxey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Eagles baseball team lost a tough road battle to the number fourteen ranked team in the country, Shenandoah University by a score of 13-4 on March 29. 

The Hornets of Shenandoah came into the matchup as one of the hottest teams in the country and continued their success by pouring on six runs early and never looking back. Shenandoah was led by senior Kyle Lisa who helped get the party started with a single to left field and scoring senior Frankie Ritter to take a 4-0 lead. 

BC struggled at the plate as they went scoreless through seven innings and left multiple runners stranded in scoring position. 

The bats continued to stay red hot for SU in the fourth with an RBI double from junior Kooper Anderson that scored junior Gavin Horing and sophomore Sam Horn. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Shenandoah tacked on two more runs due to a pair of Eagle errors in the field to stretch the lead to 10-0. 

SU went on to score another three runs in the bottom of the seventh to take a 13-0 lead. 

The Eagles started to put things together at the plate in the eighth and ninth innings. Junior Jeffery Snider started things off with an RBI single to deep center field that scored fellow junior Ben Anderson and got on the board with their first run of the day. 

BC tacked on three more runs in the top of the ninth on a couple of Shenandoah errors and an RBI single from first-year Zach Coburn that drove in junior Jonathan Sexton. The runs got the Eagles closer, but ultimately it was not enough to overcome the thirteen-run deficit. 

BC was forced to use eight different pitchers on the day to try and find something to stop the bats of the Hornets. Lisa led Shenandoah on the day going 3-5 with an RBI and two runs scored. For the Eagles, Snider led the way, also going 3-5 with an RBI. 

The Bridgewater Eagles dropped to (16-7) and (4-2) in the ODAC, while Shenandoah improved to (17-6) and (4-2-1) in the ODAC.