Men’s Lacrosse Triumphs over Guilford College

BC Men’s Lacrosse Go 8-5 Total in Alumni Game

Emily Wylie, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater men’s lacrosse team dominated the Guilford Quakers 19-10 on Alumni Day, which was Saturday, April 9. The team now holds a record of 3-3 in ODAC play.

“I think it is awesome that all the alumni are back,” said 2017 alumni Nick Sherman. “I enjoy being here, being loud and cheering for the Eagles and talking a lot of smack about Guilford.”

The Quakers led quickly into the first quarter and scored three consecutive goals over the Eagles. The score was 3-0 Quakers with five minutes left in the first. 

Assisted by senior Hunter Becker, senior Lucas Johnson scored the first point for the Eagles with 4:47 left on the clock. 

“The best aspects of the game today were the whole team coming together for a win along with the hard work and dedication that our players give throughout the game,” said senior Eric Leasner. 

With the clock ticking down to the end of the first quarter, first-year Korey Polo earned the second point for the Eagles with a minute left. 

BC ended the first quarter trailing 3-2 behind Guilford. The first quarter was the end of easy points for the Quakers as senior goalie Robbie Noyes had nine saves in his 50 minutes of playing time. 

Sophomore Grant Nyland ended Guilford’s lead swiftly into the second and made the score an even 3-3. 

The second quarter was filled with incredible offense by the Bridgewater Eagles. Senior Chris Martel was responsible for three of the seven points scored during the quarter. 

“Guilford will get the ball down there in the offensive zone and then they’ll just throw it out, so we get the ball,” said junior spectator Noah Hughes. 

Noyes continued to show off his skills by launching the ball back to his team, which was nearly 50 yards. Going into halftime, the Eagles were up 9-4. 

Two minutes into the third quarter, the Eagles scored three back-to-back goals to up the score 12-4. 

With the help of assists from seniors Trent Chaney, Hunter Becker and McLean, Bridgewater’s Martel scored his number 50 goal of the season. 

“Bridgewater is dominating – we’re on attack a lot,” said Hughes. “Marty is on fire. Chris Martel, number 37, is the best one out there.”

By the end of the quarter, the Eagles brought the score to 15-6. 

The first goal of the last fourth was picked up by McLean, who has scored 30 points this season. 

Martel scored the last point for the Eagles with an assist from McLean and ended the Alumni Day 19-10. Martel scored a total of seven goals against Guilford and McLean added seven assists. 

“The alumni are always supportive from in the stands all the way to the couch watching the live stream,” said Leasner. 

The Eagles are set to play Shenandoah University on Saturday, April 16 at 1 p.m. for senior day.

Former Bridgewater College lacrosse players and supporters show out for Alumni Day on April 9.
Former Bridgewater College lacrosse players and supporters show out for Alumni Day on April 9. (Emily Wylie)