BC Sports Recap: Women’s Lacrosse 

David McClean

Junior Lauren Roberts gets ready to take a penalty shot in a game earlier this season. Roberts currently has 52 goals on the year.

Kevin Tiffey, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater women’s lacrosse week ended in a split, with one win and one loss. The Eagles lost to Randolph Macon in their game on Wednesday, April 12 by a score of 22-12 and defeated Ferrum 19-7 on Saturday, April 15.

4/12

The Yellow Jackets got on the board first as a Randolph Macon player scored just over a minute into the game. Junior Lauren Roberts got her first of her four goals three minutes into the game to tie the score up. 

The Yellow Jackets had three straight goals to take a 4-1 lead with just 10 minutes left in the first. Roberts got one back, but the Yellow Jackets responded right away to regain a three-goal lead. 

Sophomore Carris Cianelli got on the board after a pass from junior Aunnie Hacker with just 35 seconds on the clock, getting the Eagles within two. The Yellow Jackets scored twice in the last thirty seconds of the quarter to take a 7-3 lead.

Roberts scored two goals at the beginning of the second quarter as junior Kaity Petersheim and senior Madeline Magill also connected with the net to tie the game at 7. The Yellow Jackets responded as first-year Amanda Maxwell put Randolph Macon back in front, but junior Ashley Venit scored off an assist from sophomore Grace Pietro to tie the game up. 

The Yellow Jackets went on a six-goal streak to close out the half and take a 14-8 lead.

Cianelli got the only goal of the third quarter for the Eagles as the Yellow Jackets outscored the 4-1. 

Petersheim started off the fourth with a goal to make the score 18-10, but the Yellow Jackets scored two goals back to back, taking a 20-10 lead. 

Sophomore, Jennna Entsminger scored a man-up goal, along with a final Magill goal. The Yellow Jackets went on to win 22-12.

4/15

Senior Annika Benson had the first goal of the game off an assist from senior Allison Burris who made her first start of the year on senior day. 

Benson scored just 40 seconds later to make it 2-0 for the Eagles. Petersheim then scored to put The Eagles up 3-0 early in the first. 

The Panthers got on the board, but junior Ashley Venit got a pass from Roberts to go back up by three goals. The Panthers got one back before Magill scored on an assist from sophomore Faith Bartos, giving the Eagles a 5-2 lead after the first quarter. 

Entsminger and Roberts each scored twice to give BC a 9-2 lead before the Panthers scored again, followed by a goal from Hacker and Roberts extending the lead to eight. The Panthers scored off the stick of junior Willow Cooper, but first-year Kaitlyn Clark and Benson extended the lead to 13-4 going into halftime. 

The third quarter was all Eagles as Petersheim, Roberts, Venit and first-year Miranda Coleman scored and put the Eagles ahead 18-4 after three quarters. 

Magill had a goal to start the fourth quarter, and the Panthers responded with three straight goals to end the game. The Eagles dominated on senior day with a final score of 19-7. 

The Eagles are back in action on Wednesday, April 19 at 7 p.m. at home when they take on Shenandoah.