BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Eagles Remain Undefeated with a Resounding 5-1 Victory Over William Peace

Bridgewater’s Remarkable Performance in the 2023 Season Continues to Leave a Lasting Impression.
Br
Freshman Riley Queen displays his skill and composure as he engages in a one-on-one battle with a defender, executing a deft feint move. Queen has made an immediate impact in his collegiate career, boasting one goal and two assists in the first three games.

On Tuesday, Sept. 5, the Eagles kicked off their home stretch with an exhilarating non-conference showdown against William Peace, marking their triumphant start to the season with a perfect three-game winning streak.

The Eagles wasted no time, applying relentless pressure from the outset. Freshman Riley Queen’s early shot necessitated an immediate save, showcasing their determination. They continued to relentlessly pursue possession, leaving an immediate and impressive mark on the game.

Following the missed opportunity, the Eagles swiftly positioned themselves for another promising attack. They capitalized on a defensive lapse, with Riley Queen seizing the ball in a prime scoring position. Demonstrating remarkable unselfishness, he promptly passed to his left, setting up a perfect layoff for fellow freshman Gavin Kast. Kast exhibited exceptional composure, delivering a superb strike that found the back of the net within the opening five minutes, granting the Eagles a well-deserved 1-0 lead.

“Today was a great win for the boys overall. It was also great to open the account for the season with many more to come.” said freshman Gavin Kast.  “We put in a lot of work in the preseason and all of it finally came together and we showed what we could do this season. The expectations are a lot for the season and the goal is to win the conference and make it to the NCAA playoffs, nothing less. We have a special group of boys, and we expect to do a lot with the talent we have.”

In the realm of shots, Bridgewater displayed a well-distributed offensive performance, with freshmen Trey Widrick and Queen, along with Kast and junior Marvin Perez, each recording two attempts. Bridgewater also maintained a slight advantage in shots, leading 12-9, and dominated in free kicks, holding a commanding 17-9 edge.

Savage’s exceptional performance at the beginning of the season earned him the prestigious title of ODAC Player of the Week, with three goals in two previous games leading up to this encounter. His outstanding contributions only continued to shine in this match.

Following the concession of a goal from a well-executed free kick opportunity in the 31st minute, the Eagles responded with unwavering determination. In a stunning sequence, less than a minute later, junior Lestath Savage showcased his continued brilliance this season. He expertly controlled a perfectly placed over-the-top pass from fellow junior Dicarlo Torrico, executing a sublime chip over the goalkeeper to secure a sensational finish to give the Eagles the lead back.

The Eagles began the second half much like they did the first, applying relentless pressure and crafting an opportunity within the opening five minutes. Notably, Widrick marked his first collegiate assist with a sublime pass—a meticulously threaded pass that found Queen. Queen, in turn, continued the artful use of the chip technique, placing his shot with pinpoint precision over the opposing keeper’s head to make the score 3-1 Eagles.

Widrick’s outstanding performance continued as he seized an opportunity with finesse, executing a stunning overhead bicycle kick off Torrico’s free kick. The crowd and his teammates erupted in joy as this spectacular goal added insurance to the score line, making it 4-1.

“Today I think I played very well. I was working hard to get my first goal and it was a great one to be first,” said freshman Trey Widrick. “As for the team, I think it was a very good performance. For the rest of the season, we have some work to do but I think we could end up doing very well this season.”

The Eagles capitalized on another free kick opportunity; this time initiated by sophomore Luis Orduna. After an initial block, senior John Meier seized the rebound opportunity, emphatically slotting the ball into the net. Meier’s second goal in as many games secured a commanding 5-1 lead, firmly sealing the game.

The Eagles are set to return to their home turf for an exciting weekend ahead, hosting a doubleheader. First up, Wilson will clash with them on Saturday, Sept. 9 at 3:00 p.m.