The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Eagles Maintain Their Undefeated Record with a Draw Against McDaniel

The Eagles’ first match without a victory comes as the visitors score a late goal.
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Sophomore Luis Orduna’s unwavering determination and sharp focus are on full display as he executes a skillful move, patiently setting himself up for a one-on-one encounter with a defender, leveraging his exceptional skills to gain the upper hand. Orduna’s impact on the team’s performance is palpable, as he currently shares the top spot for assists with three and holds the second position in total points on the season with five.

On Saturday, Sept. 10, the Eagles concluded their weekend fixtures in a less-than-ideal manner, settling for a draw against the Green Terror and sustaining their undefeated status. 

The Eagles initiated the half on a formidable note, consistently maintaining an offensive edge. The first half witnessed the Eagles orchestrating numerous scoring opportunities and exerting their dominance for most of the half.

The second half presented a challenging period for the Eagles, as their offensive opportunities dwindled. However, their defensive prowess shone brightly as they steadfastly denied their opponents any significant scoring opportunities. The Eagles’ defense has consistently emerged victorious in these early battles of the young season, showcasing their resilience and strength at the back.

In this game, junior Charles Schewienefuss faced a significant challenge, putting his skills to the test with a season-high tally of three saves. Throughout the match, he exhibited a commanding presence and consistently pushed his teammates to perform at their best.

The Eagles unleashed an impressive total of 11 shots during the initial half, with five of these attempts putting the visiting goalkeeper to the test. However, despite their relentless efforts, they couldn’t convert these opportunities into goals, until the 42nd minute when the Eagles put one on the board.

Bridgewater has asserted its dominance in the shots department this season, outshooting opponents by a remarkable margin of 101 to 32. Their ability to generate scoring opportunities has been evident, but the challenge lies in converting these chances into goals. Despite their prolific shot count, finding the back of the net has proven to be somewhat of a challenge for the team.

The Eagles secured a crucial goal when sophomore standout Luis Orduna showcased his recent brilliance by executing a pinpoint through ball that perfectly met the well-timed run of junior Lestath Savage, who clinically dispatched it into the back of the net, leaving no room for error.

“I’m delighted with the team’s performance this season right from the start.” stated Orduna. “Today, we went up against a well-rounded opponent, and while we battled relentlessly until the final whistle, the desired outcome eluded us, we possess an abundance of talent within our team, and I have full confidence that we can make a significant impact this year. We have several promising players who can guide us towards the ODAC championship.”

Orduna’s assist marked his third of the season, while Savage’s goal was his fifth, establishing him as the team’s leading scorer after five games for both players.

The Eagles’ lead, though valiant, ultimately slipped away when the visiting Green Terror capitalized on their opportunity with just ten minutes remaining in the match, bringing an end to the four-game winning streak.

“The game, regrettably, concluded with a draw, but it’s a starting point for us,” commented sophomore Nash Barbuto. “It presented a challenging contest, which is valuable for our growth as a team. I firmly believe that we have the potential for great success this season, and this match has given us valuable insights into what we can achieve.”

The Eagles are gearing up for an upcoming journey to North Carolina as they prepare to square off against Guilford College. The highly anticipated match is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 23, with kickoff set for 3:00 p.m. It promises to be an exciting clash as the Eagles continue their quest for success on the road.