The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Women’s Soccer Game Recap 9-15

Senior+goalkeeper+Carlee+Gaboury+makes+a+save+in+a+game+earlier+this+season.+The+Eagles+record+this+season+is+5-2.+
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Senior goalkeeper Carlee Gaboury makes a save in a game earlier this season. The Eagles record this season is 5-2.

Bridgewater, Va- The Bridgewater women’s soccer team week ended in a split, with one win and one loss. The Eagles lost to Carnegie Mellon on Saturday September 9 by a score of 2-0 and defeated Susquehanna 3-1 on Sunday September 20 by a score of 3-1. 

Eagles lose versus Tartans

9-9-2023

The Tartans got it going early to start the game off with a corner kick but were not able to convert on the chance. The Eagles followed up with a shot on goal coming from Laura Narby who had shot but was denied and gave the Eagles a corner kick. The Tartans quickly after came down and fired a shot off on goal, but senior Carlee Gaboury was there to deny the chance. 

It wasn’t again until the 18th minute when Kendall Garza almost scored on a free kick opportunity, but it went just wide of the goal. The Tartans were able to score first as Natalie Rayce scored in the 32nd minute. The Tartans kept up the pressure, but Gaboury came up huge and denied another chance.  The first half ended as the Tartans led 1-0. 

The Tartans started the second half off in the 54th minute with a shot on goal, but it was saved by Gaboury. Bridgewater tried to get their offense going early in the second half with several free kicks in the Tartans half of the field, but were not able to get any shots on goal.

In the 71th minute of the game the Tartans had another chance with Jenna Hallbeck taking a shot on goal. Gaboruy was there again with another big save for the Eagles. The Eagles had their turn to press after a Tartans’ corner kick. Sophomore Lyric Birkley took a shot, but was just right of the goal. Shortly after, the Eagles earned a free kick in a dangerous spot due to a Tartans foul. Junior Madison Ferrone stepped up for the Eagles taking a shot at the goal, but Abby O’Connor made a big save to keep the lead 1-0 Tartans. 

The Tartans were able to extend their lead in the 88th minute, coming from Maria Askounis off another throw-in. With the clock winding down, the Eagles went all out on the offense, senior Skyler Daum was able to get a shot off that O’Connor saved as the clock went off. The Tartans won the game 2-0.

Eagles defeat River Hawks

9-10-2023

The Eagles started off as Kendall Garza had a shot that was blocked by the River Hawks giving the Eagles a corner kick. The River Hawks came down the field quickly after getting a shot off that was saved by Gaboury. 

The Eagles kept it going with more chances in the first half but were not able to get any shots on goal. In the 27th minute The River Hawks sent a through ball to senior Emily Wertz her first shot was saved by Gaboury but the Eagles failed to clear the ball out of their own end which resulted in a own goal coming from the Eagles giving the The River Hawks a 1-0 lead. 

The River Hawks coming out of halftime had another chance, but Gaboury came up with a save. The Eagles came back down after  Birkley assisted Skyler Daum, tying up the match at 1-1. 

In the 73rd minute, after the Eagles had a corner kick as The River Hawks were clearing the ball upfield, senior Katelyn Seagraves intercepted a pass and then found Alicia Keo as she scored, giving the Eagles a 2-1 lead. 

Just after another save from Gaboury, kicked the ball down field to Keo. As Keo found Birkely from way outside the box she sent a shot into the top left corner of the goal giving the Eagles a 3-1 lead. The Eagles held on and won the game by a score of 3-1.