BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Eagles’ Inaugural Conference Matchup Concludes in a Deadlock

The Eagles Preserve Their Flawless Record with a Hard-Fought Draw Against Guilford
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Freshman Trey Widrick engages a defender, showcasing his astute anticipation of his next move, all to spark opportunities for the Eagles. Widrick led all Eagle attackers with an impressive total of 24 shots attempted, 16 of which found the target, firmly establishing himself as the team’s leading sharpshooter.

Bridgewater, Va- On Saturday, Sept. 23, the Eagles embarked on their ODAC journey against Guilford with a less-than-ideal start, but they persevered, securing a valuable point through a hard-fought draw.

The Eagles maintain an undefeated record, yet they have recently encountered a string of four consecutive draws, aiming to find their rhythm as the ODAC season intensifies.

Heading into this matchup, Bridgewater had historically held the upper hand with an 11-3-1 record against the Quakers. Notably, this encounter marked the first instance of these two teams ending in a tie, a notable departure from past regulations when games necessitated overtime periods to break a deadlock at the end of regulation.

Bridgewater held the edge in total shots, registering 13 attempts compared to Guilford’s seven. Additionally, the Eagles maintained their supremacy in shots on target, with a final count of six to five in their favor.

“It was an exceedingly challenging game, but we’ll bounce back,” assured junior Declan Gallagher. He added, “We need to prepare for a crucial slate of ODAC. Our focus needs to be unwavering starting Monday.”

The Eagle offense created numerous chances, with freshman Trey Widrick leading the way with four shots, three saved. Freshman Gavin Kast had two off-target shots, while juniors Dicarlo Torrico and Aidan Paul each had two shots, one requiring a save. Lastly, freshman Riley Queen scored Bridgewater’s only goal with one shot.

This game took several unexpected twists as the intensity and physicality surged, resulting in a total of 32 fouls, including six cards being issued, notably a red card for the Eagles.

“The game proved to be a formidable challenge, but we managed to secure a valuable point on the road, even in the midst of pouring rain,” said freshman Riley Queen. “As evidenced by this match, the ODAC is full of surprises, and we persevered despite a regrettable refereeing decision. Ultimately, I’m thrilled to have scored the crucial game-tying goal. Looking ahead, I have unwavering faith in our team’s determination and commitment to excel in the ODAC.”

Guilford capitalized on a first-half free kick, courtesy of junior Jesse Guzman, who found the back of the net, making it 1-0 to the Quakers with just over 15 minutes left in the opening half. Bridgewater aimed for a quick response two minutes later, earning a free kick just outside the box. Freshman Trey Widrick attempted a shot, but it was blocked, resulting in a corner kick. 

The Eagles displayed unwavering determination, even in the face of adversity when their captain, junior Justin Scott, received a red card in the 52nd minute. The Quakers failed to capitalize on this advantage, as junior Charles Schewienfuss had to make a crucial save after the initial free-kick attempt following the foul was off target.

“It was a challenging game, not the result we had hoped for, but we must press on and shift our focus to the next match,” expressed senior Vincent Marra. He continued, “I’m proud of our team’s resilience in the face of adversity. I firmly believe this team has the potential for so much more than we’ve demonstrated. The journey won’t be easy, but I’m confident this team will battle until the final whistle.”

In the 87th minute, Torrico assisted Queen, who scored to tie the game. Bridgewater pressed with a late corner kick but couldn’t find the target. Guilford had a late shot on goal, but Schweinefuss made a decisive save as time expired. Queen’s remarkable freshman season persisted as he netted the ball for the third consecutive game, marking his fourth goal of the season.

The Eagles will be hosting Averett in a crucial ODAC matchup as it will be their Bleed Crimson game. The game will take place on Saturday, Oct. 7. at 1 P.M.