BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Eagles Achieved a Remarkable Victory for Their First ODAC Win

Bridgewater Stages a Triumphant Victory, Securing Crucial Conference points following a Six-Game Winless Streak
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
With unwavering focus, sophomore Cole Dunbar diligently seeks a fellow Eagle to ensure the team’s possession. Dunbar’s remarkable performance stands out, as he ranks third on the team in goals, having netted three goals in just six games played. Furthermore, he shares the distinction of being tied for the team lead in points, amassing an impressive total of six points.

Bridgewater, VA- On the evening on Tuesday, Oct. 3, the Eagles soared to a much-needed victory, rekindling their winning momentum with a commanding performance against their cross-town rivals, Eastern Mennonite University.

The Eagles had encountered a recent slump in conference play, enduring a winless streak through the first four ODAC competitions.This opportune moment helped the Eagles rediscover their form as they now occupy a playoff position.

“Today was a great team win that we needed desperately,” said junior Declan Gallagher. “Our mentality had totally changed going into this game which is what helped us get the win. We need to continue to work hard and play with high intensity in the future to continue putting games in the win column.”

Entering this storied showdown, tracing back to 2009, the Eagles now hold the advantage with eight victories, as opposed to one tie, while the Royals have notched seven wins.

Statistical leaders from this matchup include freshman Riley Queen, who recorded five shots, with one on target. Sophomore Cole Dunbar had four shots, with two on target, both resulting in goals. Junior Lestath Savage had three shots, but none were on target. Freshman Ali Malik also had three shots, with one on target, resulting in a goal.

Right from the game’s outset, the Eagles appeared to seize control of the matchup. Queen had the chance to establish the tone, though he couldn’t generate the power he desired, managing to elicit a save from the opposing goalkeeper.

The relentless offensive pressure from the Eagles never wavered, and their persistent efforts ultimately bore fruit in a pivotal juncture of the game. Freshman Alex Dierkens located forward Dunbar, who executed with precision, slotting the ball into the net to propel Bridgewater into a 1-0 lead with less than two minutes remaining in the first half.

In the second half, following a miscued clearance attempt by the Royals, Malik showcased his determination in a solo effort. He relentlessly battled for possession, unleashing a breathtaking outside-of-the-boot shot near post that propelled the Eagles to a 2-0 lead, with less than 35 minutes remaining in the match.

“Today was just a reflection of what hard work and mentality does,” said Malik. “Our last game was not a reflection of us, but we did not let that define us and showed a glimpse of what we’re really capable of against tough opponents.”

Malik’s goal marks a significant milestone in his collegiate career, serving as his inaugural goal in the United States. The Canadian player has consistently harnessed his exceptional speed as an asset, a defining characteristic that consistently influences his performance, game after game. 

In a pivotal juncture, aiming to firmly secure the match beyond the Royals’ reach, freshman Anthony Medrano executed a sublime flick pass that gracefully sailed over EMU’s defenders. Dunbar, displaying unwavering composure, seized the opportunity to claim his second goal of the game and his third in the last two matches, extending the lead to 3-0 with less than 25 minutes remaining on the clock.

“I think the reason we were successful today is the amount of intensity we came out with,” said Dunbar. “We knew exactly what it was going to take to win and that was simply just working harder. Moving forward in the season our expectations are to win games and keep playing as hard as we did today.”

Bridgewater dominated across all offensive categories, amassing an impressive 23-10 advantage in shots. In goal, junior Charles Schweinefuss demonstrated his prowess by maintaining a clean sheet, marking his third shutout of the year while registering five crucial saves.

The Eagles extend their homestand with great anticipation as they prepare to host Averett in what promises to be a spirited matchup. This special occasion is none other than the program’s prestigious Bleed Crimson Game, a day filled with pride and passion for Bridgewater. Additionally, it’s a momentous Senior Day, where the team will honor and celebrate its graduating athletes. The game will take place on Saturday, Oct. 7, at 1 P.M.