BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

New Faces, Bright Futures: Unveiling the Talents of the Freshman Class of 2027

Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
The Eagles watch in anticipation as Cleaveland executes a remarkable leaping grab, ensuring possession for the team. Both he and Denno, among all the Eagles freshmen, remain devoted in their commitment to elevate the team in every possible aspect.

Bridgewater, Va.- The soaring achievements of the Eagles’ newest recruits shine brightly, with a special focus on the noteworthy contributions from two standout freshmen: goalkeeper Cody Cleaveland and midfielder Noa Denno.

Initially in the spotlight is Cleaveland, who made a singular but significant start and appearance in goal against Wilson. He showcased his prowess by commanding the entire match, delivering three crucial saves, and securing a flawless shutout for the Eagles.

Next, illuminating the impactful role of Denno, who has graced the field in 12 games, asserting his commanding presence as the midfield maestro for the Eagles and securing eight starts. Impressively, he has notched seven shot attempts from the defensive midfield position, with two finding the target, forcing a save.

The Eagles are currently immersed in the challenges of ODAC conference play, aiming to secure a playoff spot for the second consecutive year. The impressive impact of the freshman class is unmistakable, with four of the top ten point-scorers on the team being first-year players, underscoring their crucial contribution to the team’s success.

The freshmen exude a sense of camaraderie, finding joy in celebrating each other’s triumphs, no matter the class, and actively fostering an environment where they collectively strive to bring out the best in one another on the pitch.

“One of the more recent moments was when Cole Dunbar hit a beautiful strike into the side netting against EMU,” said Denno. “Being a part of that celebration was definitely a moment to remember.”

“The goalkeepers, in particular, share a formidable bond that extends beyond the pitch,” noted Cleaveland. “They offer support not only in enhancing their performance but also in navigating the challenges that come with being athletes in the demanding landscape of the ODAC.”

The talent is undeniable, and the culture is right on par, setting the tone knowing that the Eagles have what it takes to compete with the best. 

“My expectations aligned with the team’s vision—I sought a solid culture and a fun atmosphere,” said Denno. “I enjoy both on and off pitch camaraderie with my teammates. As a freshman, I’ve received significant playing time, exceeding my hopes. I also aspired to compete against the conference’s best, and I’m confident we can keep up with them.”

Securing starts as a freshman in collegiate athletics at this high level of play, is a formidable challenge. The freshman class recognizes the gravity of this and does not take it lightly.

“My first start as a freshman was undoubtedly my most memorable moment so far,” reflected Denno. “We played Saint Vincent away and won the game 3-0. The team performed exceptionally well, and it was a significant day for me both in terms of my individual performance and the honor of starting.”

The Eagles embark on a crucial quest for vital points in conference play on Saturday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m.. This comes during a challenging schedule, including ODAC matchups on the road against Randolph-Macon, a home game against Washington and Lee and a non-conference clash at home against Penn State Harrisburg.