BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

A Thrilling Stalemate is Earned as The Eagles Secure a Draw Against the Nittany Lions

Bridgewater Men’s Soccer Dominates Opportunities, Yet Falls Short of Capitalizing on Numerous Chances
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Before the commencement of this fiercely contested matchup, the Bridgewater Men’s Soccer program gathered in a unified huddle. The Eagles currently boast a winning record on the brink of making the ODAC playoffs.

Bridgewater, Va.- On Saturday, Oct. 14, the Eagles paused conference play, securing a tenacious scoreless draw at Bridgewater Soccer Complex, maintaining an impressive 5-1-3 home record while commanding their turf in a non-conference clash.

The hard-fought tie left the Eagles hopeful and showcased perseverance, setting the stage for an enthralling series of crucial games in ODAC play towards the back-end of the season.

“I thought we had a solid showing today,” remarked junior Aidan Paul. “It’s evident to see the contrasting pace and soccer style of other conferences compared to the ODAC. The Nittany Lions adopted a slower, more controlled approach, prompting us to make some adjustments.”

The Eagles asserted their dominance in the shot department, outshooting their opponents 12 to nine. Furthermore, they maintained an advantage in shots on goal, leading by a margin of one with a total of five to their opponent’s four. This offensive prowess showcased their ability to create scoring opportunities and maintain strategic control on the field.

Early on, the Eagles, known for creating chances, saw freshman Trey Widrick’s shot saved eight minutes in. Despite the rebound effort by sophomore Cole Dunbar being blocked, Bridgewater’s attack continued, with freshman Anthony Medrano’s subsequent shot narrowly missing the mark.

The Eagles find themselves strategically positioned at the ninth spot in the ODAC standings, setting the stage for a potential tournament berth. Their trajectory hinges on the outcome of two pivotal conference matchups in the remaining stretch of the season.

This past Saturday showcased the prowess of the Eagles’ defensive unit, stepping in seamlessly at precisely the right moments to shield sophomore goalkeeper RJ Mackey. The symbiotic coordination between the defenders and Mackey underscored a collective commitment to defensive excellence.

Freshman Ashby Barbee played a pivotal role, marking his inaugural collegiate start in the afternoon. His contribution was instrumental in supporting Mackey and the defensive unit, culminating in a stellar collective effort that successfully preserved the shutout.

“It meant a lot to make my first collegiate start,” expressed Barbee. “I’ve worked hard, but there’s always room to improve. I’m proud of the team; everybody gave a lot of effort today, especially defensively, to keep the clean sheet. However, we always strive to be better and hold ourselves to high standards.”

In only his second appearance this season, Mackey demonstrated prowess with four key saves for BC. Medrano and Widrick emerged as offensive standouts, each registering three shots. Notably, Widrick distinguished himself as the sole player on the field with multiple shots finding their mark on target.

“I think I played well,” remarked Mackey. “I can certainly identify areas for improvement. The team exhibited exceptional performance with great drive and grit throughout the entire game. I truly appreciated the energy displayed today.”

The Eagles, riding high on momentum, aim to shape their destiny for a strong contention in the ODAC tournament at the end of October. With focused determination, they are set to navigate challenges and secure a notable position in the playoff landscape.

“We have two games left,” emphasized Paul. “Each one is crucial for our tournament aspirations, demanding consecutive strong performances. We’re optimistic about winning our remaining matches, entering the tournament with full momentum.”

The Eagles are set to embark on a journey to Ferrum College on Sat., Oct. 21, with a determined focus on keeping their playoff hopes alive. In this crucial matchup, they aim to showcase their prowess and secure a pivotal victory in their pursuit of postseason success.