BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

The Eagles Fall Just Short of Playoffs in a Thrilling Draw Against the Wildcats

Bridgewater’s 2023 Season Ends with Heartbreak as Playoffs Slip Away
Bridgewater Eagles Athletics
Sophomore Cole Dunbar is making an offensive run applying pressure for the Eagles. Throughout his sophomore campaign, Dunbar showcased remarkable prowess, amassing an impressive tally of three goals, and contributing with two well-executed assists in a mere 12 games played.

Bridgewater, VA- On Wednesday, Oct. 26, the Eagles secured a late draw against the Randolph Wildcats, with both teams finding the net once in Lynchburg, yet regrettably, it fell short of the win required to secure a spot in the conference tournament.

On the counterattack, freshman Trey Widrick attempted a shot for BC, narrowly missing the far side of the crease and keeping the game scoreless. An ensuing dangerous free kick for the Eagles led to a shot from junior Lestath Savage, but it sailed wide of the cage, concluding the first half with both sides still deadlocked.

After a lengthy delay, the Eagles’ offense surged. Freshman Noa Denno and Widrick both tested the opposing keeper, who made two key saves. Denno had another chance in the 64th minute, but the opposing keeper denied it. Freshman Riley Queen joined the attack, and the attempt was thwarted. A Wildcats defender deflected Widrick’s rebound chance away from the open net.

The pressure finally gave way as sophomore Cole Dunbar located Queen in the box, resulting in the freshman’s equalizing goal with under ten minutes remaining. In their pursuit of a win, the Eagles intensified their efforts. In the 82nd minute, Dunbar attempted a chip, but it was deflected. The final two minutes saw scoring opportunities for both teams, including a missed shot by freshman Anthony Medrano after a save from junior Charles Schweinefuss.

The team’s overall statistics from the matchup were remarkably balanced. The Eagles held a slight advantage in the total shot department, registering 14 shots compared to the Wildcats’ 11. Likewise, in shots on goal, the Eagles maintained a narrow lead with nine shots on target to the Wildcats’ eight. It was an action-packed evening for both goalkeepers under the lights.

Queen notched his fifth goal of the season, with Dunbar contributing his second assist in 2023. Freshman Trey Widrick led all players with five shots, three of which were on target, for the second straight game. Additionally, Dunbar, Queen, and Denno each had multiple shots on goal. Schweinefuss made seven saves for BC, matching Randolph’s seven saves in the opposing crease.

While the season may have drawn to a close, it was punctuated by a plethora of unforgettable moments for the Eagles. Throughout the journey, the invaluable presence of veteran leadership played a pivotal role, particularly for a team that frequently featured five freshmen in the starting lineup.

“I think this was a good season for me,” said senior John Meier. “I scored my first goal and also got the game-winner on senior night, which was awesome. It was nice to provide some experience to a young team,” Meier continued, “and I know that they’ll take what they learned this year and do better next year.”

Amidst a tapestry of cherished memories, the Eagles found themselves brimming with anticipation for the future. They expressed their gratitude for being part of a youthful team that had shown promise, even though their aspirations for an ODAC tournament spot fell just one point short.

“I just want to start with how much this team means to me,” said Dunbar. “I can’t ask for anything more than to get the chance to play with all these great players. We had a young team this year, and I know that next year, once all of us get comfortable, nothing will be able to stop us. Expect big things from Bridgewater Men’s Soccer next year!”

The Eagles’ season came to an untimely conclusion, earlier than anticipated. However, their overall record stands at a commendable 7-4-6, with a 3-4-3 conference record. BC also showcased an impressive ability to defend their home turf, boasting a record of 5-2-3.

While the team received contributions from numerous players, the standout point leaders for the season were Queen, leading the pack with 12 points, closely followed by Savage with ten points. Widrick and Meier both held their own, sharing the spot with eight points each.

Schweinefuss enjoyed a remarkable individual season, amassing over 1,000 minutes in the goalkeeper position for the Eagles. During this time, he made 59 saves, complementing the determined defensive efforts and contributing to a total of four impressive shutouts.