The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Field Hockey Season Comes to an End

Sophomore+Caryn+Klinger+dribbles+up+the+field+for+the+Eagles+in+a+game+earlier+this+season.+The+Eagles+finished+the+year+at+8-9+and+a+5-4+record+in+conference+play.+
Bridgewater College Athletics
Sophomore Caryn Klinger dribbles up the field for the Eagles in a game earlier this season. The Eagles finished the year at 8-9 and a 5-4 record in conference play.

Bridgewater, Va. – The Bridgewater women’s field hockey team won in the first round of the ODAC tournament against the Yellow Jackets of Randolph Macon and lost in the semifinals against the Hornets of Lynchburg. 

Eagles Beat the Hornets in Quarterfinals

The Eagles came out and dominated right from the start in the first quarter, as they controlled possession on the offensive end for most of the opening 15 minutes of the match. The Eagles had five total penalty corners but were unable to find the back of the net. Caryn Klinger recorded the first shot on goal for the Eagles that was blocked by a Yellow Jacket defender. The best chance for the Eagles in the first quarter came on a shot from just in front of the cage, but a Yellow Jacket defender was there to block it away as the first period came to an end with a score of 0-0.

The Eagles broke the scoreless draw six minutes into the second quarter as Amora Marchand scored her second goal of the season with junior Daphne Daymunde assisting. The Eagles kept up their offensive pressure with Daymude having another shot that was blocked after another penalty corner. At the end of the first half, the Eagles led 1-0.

In the second half, Klingler got a shot on cage early in the third quarter that was saved by the Yellow Jackets’ goalie to keep the score at 1-0. The Eagles kept possession for most of the third period, and they still led after the third period.

The Yellow Jackets got their first shot of the game, with just under eight minutes left in the game on a shot coming by Caitlin Porter. The rest of the fourth quarter there was not much action, and the Eagles were able to hold on and win against the Yellow Jackets, sending them to the semifinals. 

The Eagles Lost by Four Against the Hornets

The Hornets got the game started by earning a penalty corner early into the game. Marlou Wendriks’ shot was saved by the Eagles’ goalie Madalyn Miller. Olivia van Metre scored the first goal for the Hornets with a pass coming from Wendriks, making it 1-0 with just under nine minutes in the first period. The Eagles followed up with a chance, but a pass from freshman Olivia DeWan just missed sophomore Autumn Just’s stick. The Eagles came up big on a Hornets penalty corner to end the period at 1-0 with the Hornets having the advantage.

In the second quarter, the Eagles earned their first penalty corner, but the Hornets stayed strong and were able to clear the ball out. The Eagles had several attempts on goal, including shots from sophomore Carynn Klingler and freshman Rylie Flick, but Lynchburg’s goalie, Kayla Brady, came up and made some big saves for the Hornets and kept the Eagles scoreless. The Hornets expanded their lead with goals from Anna Dorrestijn and Kessa Shaffer, making it 3-0. The Eagles followed up and had one more penalty corner but could not score. The half ended with the Hornets leading 3-0.

In the third quarter, Daymude and Klingler had shots on goal for the Eagles, but Brady was there to make the save on Klingler. Daymude’s shot ended up scoring, but the referees called it off. The Hornets followed that up with scoring another goal coming from Aaryn Boatwright, making the score 4-0. 

In the fourth quarter, both teams had shots on goal but both sides were not able to score. The match ended with the Hornets winning by a score of 4-0.