The Student News Site of Bridgewater College

BCVoice

BCVoice

BCVoice

Student Athlete Focus: Kennedy Fauntleroy

Men’s Lacrosse Honors Morgans Message

The+mens+lacrosse+team+dedicates+their+game+on+April+2+to+Morgans+Message.+The+organization+was+established+to+highlight+the+importance+of+mental+health+in+athletes.+
David McLean
The men’s lacrosse team dedicates their game on April 2 to Morgan’s Message. The organization was established to highlight the importance of mental health in athletes.

Bridgewater, Va. – Morgan’s Message is an organization that brings light to the struggles of mental health, men’s lacrosse honored Morgan’s Message in a home game against Guilford. 

Morgan’s Message originated when a player for the women’s lacrosse team at Duke University, named Morgan Rodgers, lost her battle in mental health, resulting in her taking her own life. Bridgewater College has many of their sports teams host a game dedicated to Morgan’s Message. 

The teams that have Morgan Message games/meets include: men’s lacrosse, women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s swim, field hockey and volleyball. 

The goal of Morgan’s Message is to spread awareness about the mental health struggles that can come from being a student-athlete. The men’s lacrosse team wanted to shed light on the mental health struggles that can occur from the stresses that playing a college sport can include. 

Senior Hayden Gourley said, “I know it’s a big program for embracing mental health and it’s a great cause.”

Sophomore Aubrey Beale, who is on the women’s lacrosse team, ordered Morgan’s Message t-shirts for the men’s lacrosse team. The purpose of the bright blue shirt with a butterfly is to spark someone to ask what the shirt is about and start a conversation about mental health in student athletes. 

Beale discusses the women’s lacrosse game that honors Morgan’s Message, “We’re very big with pushing all the hype around that day, to make it a big day to support everybody.” Morgan’s Message is an organization that strives to eliminate the stigma and open up the conversation surrounding mental health in student-athletes. More information can be found on their website, https://www.morgansmessage.org/.