Bridgewater College Releases Refund Plan

Students Who Had to Leave Campus Will Receive Refunds

Cassidy Wagoner, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- In an email to students on April 10, 2020, from Anne Keeler, vice president for finance and treasurer, students learned that those students who are no longer residing on campus will receive a $2,080 refund for spring housing

In addition, students who purchased a parking decal will receive a $50 reimbursement.

“I personally am happy with the refund that we are getting from the school,” said senior Bailey Bingham. “I have heard of some schools who are not giving anything back to their students so I’m pleased that Bridgewater made the decision to give us part of our money back.” 

Residential fees for an entire semester are typically $6,500. The refund constitutes 32% of the fees as students were asked to leave campus on March 11, a third of the way through the semester, because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Keeler’s email stated that the reimbursement will be given as a credit on student accounts; however, arrangements can be made for an electronic direct deposit if a student requests this method instead. A third option is to request reduction of a student or parent loan up to the amount of the credit balance. 

There will be no refund for tuition, technology fees or student service fees due to the fact that classes are still being held online

Students who remained on campus will not receive a housing refund.

“I am happy that the school is refunding us the remaining amount,” said senior Mallorie Whaley. “While it does not really make up for the rest of the semester being taken away, I understand the need to keep everyone safe.”