BCVoice’s Fall 2020 Voices of the Week

Katie Baker, Editor in Chief

Bridgewater, Va. – The BCVoice staff were kept on their toes this semester covering the news of SRA reports, COVID-19 regulations, 2020 presidential election updates, and adjustments to campus housing and the academic calendar. 

More than anything, I appreciate the staff writers and editors who took this semester in stride and just went with whatever was thrown at them — whether they were on campus or remote. Their flexibility and willingness to report, film, record, edit, or photograph all that this unique semester brought was a blessing to see. 

During our weekly BCVoice meeting, a staff member is honored for their noteworthy contributions to the organization. The award is called the Voice of the Week and the recipient is chosen by the student leadership team. 

Junior Leyton Pullin, a communication studies major, was selected as Voice of the Week for his engaging style of writing. Pullin has been an integral part of the sports writing team this semester as he consistently produces high quality work. Two of Pullin’s best pieces are Bridgewater College Men’s Golf Team Included on the List of Potential Program Cuts and Bridgewater College Cancels Sports Activities

Junior David Sullivan, a chemistry major, was awarded Voice of the Week for his reliability as a reporter and his eagerness to improve as a writer. I appreciate Sullivan’s willingness to tackle articles as a distance learner. Some of Sullivan’s best articles are Paid Fellowship Program With Campus Vote Project and Paid Internship Opportunities in the Center for Engaged Learning

Junior Shayne Williamson, a communication studies major, was chosen as Voice of the Week for his skill as a reporter and as a writer. Williamson has a knack for investigating breaking news stories and writing with eloquence, an example of this can be seen with Students React to SRA Recommendations to Cut and Downsize Programs. Williamson even participates in the podcasting side of BCVoice, with Jay and Shay’s Sports for Dummies

Sophomore Zachary Rogers, a communication studies major, was awarded Voice of the Week for his hard work in developing his quality podcast Next on the Sticks. Zachary’s enthusiasm for podcasting is evident in his work. 

Junior Brooke DiCicco, an art major, was selected as Voice of the Week for her consistency in going above expectations with her articles. DiCicco’s work ethic and passion for news writing can be seen in her reporting and in her photography. Some of DiCicco’s best pieces are Strategic Resource Allocation Recommendations Approved and COVID-19 Vaccination Opinions Across Campus

Senior Alexis Brown, a communication studies major, was awarded Voice of the Week for her drive in producing excellent work no matter the circumstances. I appreciate Brown’s willingness to try something new and her ability to be versatile. Brown’s article, The Set Up, The Power, and The People, showcases her writing abilities and Brown’s BCVoice 360 videos, News Highlights 11.04.20,  display her skill on camera. 

Senior Shaina Breeden, a communication studies major, was chosen as Voice of the Week for her passion in news writing and for her eagerness to investigate. I appreciate Breeden’s quality contributions to BCVoice as she constantly sought to fill the gaps. Some of Breeden’s best pieces are Fall Fest: A Time for Community and Spring Semester Academic Calendar Adjusted due to COVID-19

Senior Olivia Carson, a communication studies major, was selected as Voice of the Week for her consistency as a reporter and for her excellent writing abilities. Carson develops high quality and thoroughly written articles that communicate new information every time. One f her best articles is Swim Team Values Gratitude. Carson also films for BCVoice 360; check out News Highlights 11.09.20

Junior Samantha Hince, a professional writing major, was awarded Voice of the Week for her flexibility in covering breaking news and for her editing skills. Hince, who is the associate news editor, guides staff writers improving the quality of the organization. Her skills as a reporter are most noticeable in  Strategic Resource Allocation Recommendations Released and Forced Removal of Residents from Daleville Hall and the Crimson Inn

Senior Jake Smith, a communication studies major, was awarded Voice of the Week for his dedication to helping launch BCVoice 360. Smith is a major force largely contributing behind the scenes of the organization though sometimes he appears in front of the camera. Smith’s latest BCVoice 360 video can be seen at News Highlights 11.16.20

Smith’s co-editor, senior Jodie Welsh, a business administration major, was also awarded  Voice of the Week for her hard work on BCVoice 360. Welsh’s attention to detail is evident in every news highlight video, and I appreciate her skill and willingness to this new platform.  Junior Jalissa White-Jones, a communication studies major, was selected as Voice of the Week for her desire to contribute her best work to BCVoice. White-Jones, who is completing her third semester with the organization, has shown continued growth as a reporter and writer. Among White-Jones’ best articles are The First 2020 Presidential Debate and Celebrating Lucy Frances Simms.