Laura Yordy Shares with Faculty, Staff and Students About What Matters to Her and Why

Cassidy Wagoner, Staff Writer

Bridgewater, Va.- The Bridgewater College Chaplain Robbie Miller hosted Associate Professor of Philosophy and Religion Laura Yordy on Thursday, March 18, at 7 p.m. for her to share what matters to her and why. 

The discussion series most recently featured Professor of History and Political Science Stephen Longenecker and now Yordy — both are retiring after this year.  

Yordy will be retiring after 14 years of teaching at Bridgewater College. The discussion was led by Yordy and then other people on the Zoom call were able to ask her questions. 

“People say you can tell what matters by where your money goes and your time, so clearly education is a part of it, not just in the classroom, but all aspects of life,” said Yordy. “That happens not only by being willing to have little or large adventures, but to think about them.”

Yordy spoke about education and being in the moment as important aspects of what matters to her. Finding joy in the things that you do is important to Yordy as well. Environmental justice is something that she wants to spend more of her time being involved in after retiring. 

“There is service, but I also think joy is important,” said Yordy. “If you spend all your time doing something useful but not getting satisfaction out of it, that’s not what we’re here for.”

“We turn to the stories of our people, whoever they are, and they tell us amazing things, and we hope to live into those stories, but I think joy lies in the midst of it all,” said Professor of Philosophy and Religion Carol Scheppard, who attended the event. 

Throughout the discussion, Yordy touched on “practicing what she preaches” after retirement. Yordy plans to get more “hands on” with the things that matter to her. 

“This all comes down to what my understanding of what God wants from us,” said Yordy. “I am going to use this next phase to practice what I preach.”

Miller seeks to provide a safe space for faculty and staff to discuss what matters to them and why. The discussions involve many different perspectives and ideas in an effort to bring the Bridgewater College community together and to start conversations. 

“My hope for students is for them to see a more personal side of a faculty or staff member, rather that they have an opportunity to see the faculty that stand before them in the classroom are also human beings with hearts, ideas, values, questions, and struggles,” said Miller.

In previous years, the discussions were held in the Boitnott room, but due to COVID-19, this year they are being held on Zoom.